Railroad Forums 

• What is this?

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1376434  by CPSK

Hi;
I found this object on the NS line near Centerville VA on Google Earth. Can anyone tell me what its purpose is? I would have guessed water tower, but there is no pipe or hose to/from it, and it doesn't look like it's located directly over the track. That projection on top makes me think of a plumbing fixture with wrench bolt.

Thanks
CP
 #1376498  by hutton_switch

It appears to be a coaling tower from the days of steam locomotives. If anyone thinks it still has a valid use for today's N&W 611 excursions, think again. Number 611 runs too seldom along that line to make stocking coal in the tower worthwhile. I'm surprised that it wasn't taken down years ago.
 #1376505  by CPSK

That sounds likely, now that you mention it. Could it be used for sand instead of coal? That said, there doesn't appear to be a method for transferring the sand from the tower to the loco's bins.
Thanks
CP
 #1376507  by NorthWest

Some coaling towers in yards were converted to sanding towers, but probably none on the road. Sand is usually refilled when locomotives are fueled.

These coal towers are built to last, with very sturdy concrete construction. As the only way to demolish them is dynamiting (which can have lots of nasty consequences if things go wrong, including blocking the main line for a long period) the railroads are largely content to leave them be for the time being.
 #1452589  by mmi16

Coaling towers cost way more to demolish and remove than they do to let stay in place. In today's world of railroading, if the coal tower would be a clearance issue on a double stack line - it would be removed, otherwise it will continue to stand as a part of history.