Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern power in Odenton

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1334192  by TheOneKEA

Yesterday I saw a sight I have never seen before in Odenton. Norfolk Southern 5605 was stabled on the Academy zyard spur west of the level crossing of Piney Orchard Parkway at the head of a train. This is the first time I've ever seen NS power this far south of Bayview in central MD, the first time I've seen a train stabled on the spur with the power at the far end, and the first time in a while that I've seen anything stabled on the spur in several years. Does anyone know why it was there?
 #1334365  by ConrailMcf

This is an NS local that switches customers south of Bayview, it works Berry Plastics and Atlas Container in that area and then works further south to PG County (Ardwick/Ardmore) near the DC border, it operates early mornings on the NEC, I believe it has about 5 customers it switches, though I believe Home Depot Lumber in Glenn Dale has closed or relocated. <Anyone know about that?
 #1339066  by RockGp40

This is the NS crew (H62 or K62, I am not sure if the Baltimore locals identifying letter changed) and they either outlawed or Amtrak kicked them off the grid so they could run their NEC schedule. This is not a totally freak occurence. It happened back in 2013 with an SD70 parked pretty close to the new Walgreen's drug store. The train made the Patch that day as citizens were not used to seeing a locomotive on that track there since Nevamar closed back in the 2002 time frame.

Here's a link:
http://patch.com/maryland/odenton/train ... in-odenton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1361226  by strench707

ConrailMcf wrote:...though I believe Home Depot Lumber in Glenn Dale has closed or relocated. <Anyone know about that?
Unfortunately true, the property has been vacated for quite a while now.

Davis
 #1361273  by amtrakhogger

Unilever closed up shop this year at Filbert's switch. One less customer for the NS local.
 #1373760  by RockGp40

I was going to work in Odenton this week and something caught my eye. There was a gondola (NOKL 320811) parked at the former site of Nevamar. It is locked up inside the gate on the west side of the switch. I guess they are preparing to remove more scrap or perhaps BGE is getting to disassemble the power site on the property. Rumors from the Anne Arundel West County Chamber of Commerce indicate a new grocery store going in to the site, perhaps a Harris Teeter. I would love to have caught the move by NS, especially if they brought a six axle around the curve by the old WB&A building. My gut tells me it probably happened in the wee hours though.
 #1396858  by RailVet

I visited the spur earlier this afternoon, pausing in my car at the grade crossings at Telegraph Road (Route 170) and Annapolis Road (Route 175). The silt in the flangeways at the former and the heavy weed growth just north of the latter indicated it has been a long time since anything passed down this track.