Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in Richmond and Petersburg

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1297928  by motor

I will be vacationing soon in Richmond (visiting Civil War sites). Plan to visit Petersburg and Hopewell. Any good railfanning sites in that area?

motor
 #1300318  by chefwrg

Got to the Richmond Railroad museum while you are there. It's on Hull street near downtown. Have lunch at the Iron Horse restaurant in Ashland, it sits right on the tracks. Ashland is also a good place to be between 4 and 6 pm. At least three Amtraks including auto train and usually a couple of freights.
 #1303118  by motor

Didn't get anywhere near Ashland due to certain issues, but I did stand in Shockoe Slip underneath the double deck trestle watching AMTK 67 depart RVM, then saw a CSX coal drag start up on receiving yellow over yellow once 67 had cleared the block, then saw another CSX coal drag turn from westbound to northbound.

Also at the Hampton Inn at exit 69 of I-95, I heard quite a few diesel horns. Apart from missing Ashland (and not knowing about the Richmond RR Museum until it was too late [I went down on a Sunday and didn't know of its existence until I saw it on my AAA Richmond city map Monday morning, went down to the hotel business center and learned it was only open on weekends]), I was satisfied with the experience.

motor