Railroad Forums 

• Virginia Avenue Tunnel Project Website updated with EIS

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1277282  by gpp111

The Washington DC govt has given CSX approval to begin reconstruction of the tunnel, an entirely new tunnel will be built next to the existing one, and once completed, the old tunnel will be removed and a new tunnel constructed to take its place. This will allow double track through downtown and will allow double stack container trains to run through the city for the first time.
 #1278205  by Sand Box John

Don't expect to see stacks passing through Washington anytime soon after the completion of the project. There are multiple location along the routes that include the Virginia Avenue Tunnel that still have clearance issues that need to be addressed.
 #1278318  by gpp111

I would have to assume that the Virginia Avenue tunnels are the biggest bottleneck between the mid Atlantic and the port of Baltimore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double stacks would start running at the end of construction, assuming other clearance issues are removed by that time.
Last edited by gpp111 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1282631  by Sand Box John

"gpp111"
I would have to assume that the Virginia Avenue tunnels are the biggest bottleneck between the mid Atlantic and the port of Baltimore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Double stacks would start running at the end of construction, assuming other clearance issues are removed by that time.

The Belt Railroad in Baltimore (Howard Street Tunnel) also needs upgrading to handle stacks. All of container handling facilities for ships and well cars are on the north side of Patapaco River. The Virginia Avenue tunnel will facilitate the movement of stack train between the mid west and south before it starts seeing stack trains coming in and out of Baltimore.
 #1283035  by mmi16

gpp111 wrote:I would have to assume that the Virginia Avenue tunnels are the biggest bottleneck between the mid Atlantic and the port of Baltimore.

CSX is currently working in the clearance issues East of Cherry Run, WV - Double Stacks are currently being handled from the West through Cherry Run to Chambersburg, PA.
 #1283152  by JackRussell

I am a bit surprised by the vehement opposition by some communities in the area. I suppose if I lived there, I wouldn't be wild about it, but some of the things they are suggesting are so over the top that it is hard to take them seriously.
 #1301914  by Sir Ray

Another Hurdle overcome for the Virginia Avenue Tunnel Project:
After a series of delays— and raucous opposition from neighbors — the federal agency signed a Record of Decision on Tuesday supporting the reconstruction and expansion of the Virginia Avenue Tunnel, a critical piece of infrastructure in the Washington region’s rail system
Washington Post Article
 #1331970  by JackRussell

It sounds like some of the initial construction work is beginning. Namely utility relocation along various portions of the affected streets. There are in fact multiple updates covering multiple streets - the quote I am including is only the most recent one of many. There probably isn't much for us to see yet, however.

http://www.virginiaavenuetunnel.com/updates-archive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beginning as soon as Monday, May 18, utility relocation work will start at 3rd Street S.E., near the intersection with Virginia Avenue. Work will include tree removal, surveying, removing pavement, trenching and other activities associated with utility relocations.
 #1362243  by mmi16

JackRussell wrote:I am a bit surprised by the vehement opposition by some communities in the area. I suppose if I lived there, I wouldn't be wild about it, but some of the things they are suggesting are so over the top that it is hard to take them seriously.
When the opposition, in the form of the 'Committee of 100' got to court, the court discovered only 1 of the 'Committee' even lived in the affected area. Case Dismissed.