Railroad Forums 

• Alexandria Station

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1225114  by Station Aficionado

Afraid I don't remember exactly when the second freight track came out--it's been a while, though, over ten years.

If you go to timetables.org, and search for when the Cardinal stopped terminating in Washington and resumed service to NYP, that will tell you when they stopped using Superliners. Sorry, I don't remember offhand when that was.

As for single-level VRE coaches, VRE started out with demotored RDCs ("Boise Budds") hauled by locos. I rode VRE a good bit back then--the always popular 3-2 seating. Not sure where those cars are today. I don't remember if they had other single level cars (maybe some leased MARC coaches??). I hope others can supply some of the other details for you.

I'm hoping you had no trouble at ALX--it's a big railfan hangout, and they're quite tolerant, so long as you stay off the tracks and don't make a nuisance of yourselg. My favorite station, but I'm biased.
 #1225331  by Station Aficionado

m1a2lt wrote:For the VRE coaches, do you remember what was used around 1997-1998? Were they still using the single level coaches and Bi-levels?
They were still using single-level equipment then (the Boise Budds, maybe some newer cars, as well). IIRC, the first bilevels were exMetra galleries and the leased Sounder set, but I think that was post-2000.