Railroad Forums 

• Alexandria

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1219214  by Station Aficionado

This is a pure foamer post. Having a lot of time on my hands today on account of the shutdown, I spent part of the evening at ALX. I was reminded again of what a great place it is to watch trains, especially Amtrak. There were a total of 24 Amtrak trains calling at ALX today (I saw four of them). The EB Cardinal (50) was shockingly only about 12 minutes off the advertised. Also, there are the morning and afternoon VRE parades (a total of 30 trains stopping at ALX). Between Amtrak and VRE, that's 54 passenger trains in the 15-hour period between 6am and 9pm. I wonder if the station has ever seen more.

Also saw the heaviest "light" engine moves I've ever seen today. There were two NB strings of CSX locos within about 20 mins. of each other, each with around 15 locos.