Railroad Forums 

• NS in Virginia

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1209112  by EMDSD40-2

Hello. My sister and brother-in-law recently purchased a house in the vicinity of Waynesboro, VA. I am wondering if someone here would be willing to share some information on the amount of train traffic in Charlottesville and Waynesboro. I'm curious about the average 24-hour train count on the BBRR and on the NS Roanoke and Washington Districts. I have been looking all over google for an idea and I can't find any answers. Thank you to anyone who can provide some help.

Bryan
 #1211229  by dgvrengineer

Bryan,
These are rough estimates and can change based on traffic levels. Generally, on the NS Shenandoah line, there are 3 trains in each direction daily with extras as needed. Also an occasional coal train. On the BB, there is one train in each direction but not sure if daily or 5 days a week. There is also the 3 day a week Amtrak Cardinal and up to 6 CSX empty coal trains westbound only daily. Again, these can vary depending on need. I do not
have any idea what the traffic levels are on the NS main through Charlottesville, but they run a lot of trains there.
Larry