Railroad Forums 

• Amelia, VA

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1206144  by RailVet

The Comprehensive Guide to Industrial Locomotives (2002, 3rd edition, page 264) lists a GP9 at USA Waste Services, Inc. (now Waste Management, Inc.?) at the company's location southwest of Amelia, VA. Looking over the site in Google Earth, however, I see no locomotive, just some empty open-top rail cars shoved to the far (south) end of the yard. Does this location still have a locomotive, and does it still receive rail service?
 #1226146  by Aa3rt

Railvet, I was visiting my brother yesterday who has been an Amelia County resident for over 20 years. I asked about the location so we paid a visit. The tracks are empty of any railcars and my brother stated that the locomotive has been gone for at least 2 or 3 years.

It seems that the overpowering smell of the railcars, particularly in the summertime, lead to complaints by nearby residents and a political row that resulted in the ceasing of shipments via rail. The switch off of the NS line that serves Amelia is still in place as are the tracks. As you've most likely already discerned from Google Earth, this is a compact 3 track yard.
 #1227252  by RailVet

Thanks, Art! You've saved me a long drive to see for myself. Given the aroma surrounding the site, you've saved my nose, too.

Tim