Railroad Forums 

• Auto Rack Train at Silver Spring

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1129514  by R,N, Nelson

Yesterday. at Silver Spring, I watched a westbound train, which had what appeared to be empty auto rack cars. go west. But then I noticed that a few of the cars had one or two autos in them. Are they rejects? And where does the train operate to/from? I assume Jessup is one of the locations.
 #1136889  by gpp111

On the Metropolitan Branch (Silver Spring) eastbound auto racks are generally destined to one of several locations, Annapolis Junction (Jessup), Curtis Bay MD (Baltimore Harbor) or Wilmington Delaware. Most vehicles are for delivery to East Coast auto dealers but some are for export, out of Baltimore or Wilmington. Vehicles are also imported through both ports and some move westbound by rail.
 #1137273  by hutton_switch

Thank you for providing an answer to Mr. R.N. Nelson's question. Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly at his home in Silver Spring on January 14, 2013. He was a vast repository of knowledge on the Baltimore and Ohio, as well as on the Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad. May he rest in peace.
 #1243582  by mmi16

hutton_switch wrote:Thank you for providing an answer to Mr. R.N. Nelson's question. Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly at his home in Silver Spring on January 14, 2013. He was a vast repository of knowledge on the Baltimore and Ohio, as well as on the Baltimore and Annapolis Railroad. May he rest in peace.
My sincerest sympathies to his family. Railroad on!