Railroad Forums 

• Rocky Mountaineer

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#49616  by missthealcos

As in subject, Rocky Mountaineer has been given the green light to run tourist trains on the BC Rail line.

This is somewhat unfortunate, as there will now never be "real" passenger service on this line again. Once RMR gets ahold of a route, they will block any attempts by anyone to run a regular, transportation oriented service, this being the biggest reason Via cannot get back on the CP route. The decision should come as no surprise, as RMR has done its homework in the political influence area....Via's bid never had a chance....One can also expect Via's Skeena operation to come under fire, as RMR also appears to have plans for the CN north line as well, and will not want Via "competing" with them, regardless of who was there first.

Perhaps now we will get some give and take, and they will drop their fierce opposition to Via on the CP route, now that they have the virtual monopoly they have desired. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

#49741  by Ken V

Rhetorical question... :(

Why can't politicians tell the difference between basic transportation and luxury travel?

The answer is... transportation loses public money and land cruises make private money. The real question is who benefits from each?

Or, better yet, why can't there be both?

#49902  by missthealcos

EXACTLY......answer: because RMR will not allow it.
 #129577  by Richard Y

If you go to the Rocky Mountaineer web site:

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/

and click on "New Rail Journeys for 2006"..then, on the next page, click on the "Whistler Mountaineer"..you get nothing.
I am interested in this new route for 2006..from Vancouver, to Whistler, Prince George, and finally to Jasper, Alb.
Does anyone have information one whether this new route is a certainty? I would especially be interested if they plan on a connecting with the (regular) Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper to Kamloops back to Vancouver. It would be fun to complete the whole loop.

I am sure it wouldn't be cheap..but I might like to do it 1X in 2006. If you have more information on the new Whistler Mountaineer, I would appreciate what you can tell me.
Richard
 #1240275  by Ken V

You can only get on at Banff if you are returning to Vancouver but you can't use it to continue on to Calgary. The Rocky Mountaineer is a cruise train and does not allow stopovers except for the scheduled overnight in Kamloops.
 #1495001  by Jeff Smith

MassTransitMag.com: Two more Rocky Mountaineer rail cars to be rebuilt by Alstom
Rocky Mountaineer has awarded a contract to Alstom Transport to rebuild two additional SilverLeaf cars for Canadian tourist railroad. This represents the 11th and 12th SilverLeaf cars Alstom will rebuild for the railroad with the delivery of cars 9 and 10 to be delivered in March 2019.

Alstom explains that the rebuilding requires the cars to be stripped to their frame and trucks and entirely re-engineered; producing newly refurbished train cars for the Rocky Mountaineer fleet. The modernization work includes installation of oversized dome windows, spacious seats and a new interior, which extends the car’s lifetime by at least 10 years. Alstom also notes that the work also includes a thorough engineering design and review to deliver a quality product that assures a vastly improved customer experience thanks to new systems (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) to increase guest comfort, as well as new flat and curved windows that give guests a 167 percent larger viewing area than before.