Railroad Forums 

• Canadian Northern *Ontario* Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1338810  by Maury Markowitz

I'm very confused... I was under the impression that the CN *Ontario* R was a subsidiary of the CNoR, and that the name referred specifically to a line running from Union Station in Toronto to... James Bay? But when I try to find information on this, I see the name being used to describe bridges in Ottawa and lines all over the place. I also see that the line running to James Bay seems to be called the Nippigon and/or Northland. In this article:

http://www.exporail.org/can_rail/Canadi ... 4_1979.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "Ontario" is everywhere, but seems to be referring to lines that would be generally part of CNoR.

Can anyone clarify this for me?
 #1338839  by bdawe

The James Bay Line to Moosonee (the Ontario Northland Railway, formerly the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway) is and was always a Crown Corporation of the Province of Ontario, and was not affiliated with the Canadian Northern Railway. It was renamed to increase the geographic scope of the name and to reduce the number of cars that were being misrouted to the Texas & New Orleans Railroad.

The Canadian Northern Railway started out as a local Manitoba railway, and expanded both east and west into a transcontinental. It appears from the source you link to that the Canadian Northern Ontario Railway was CNoR's subsidiary for connecting their existing western lines with their growing holdings in Central Canada via Sudbury in their efforts to become Canada's second transcontinental railway.

Perhaps this map can help http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30509/30 ... mg-194.jpg