Railroad Forums 

• Old Railways In Southern BC?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1331801  by DanielRailfan

Hello, I wanted to ask if someone knows of some good old abandoned railways in Southern British Columbia which I could go to. I already know of the Kettle Valley railway, but not a lot, and any information on this one as well as new ones would be very appreciated. Thank you!
 #1331857  by NorthWest

The KVR is the most notable, especially if you include the VV&E. A google search will bring up a lot of information. Otherwise, there are few other lines, as the area was not overbuilt as many regions were. Happy hunting!
 #1331865  by DanielRailfan

I thought so, I heard it mentioned a lot! And the VV&E is the Vancouver, Victoria and Eastern Railroad? That is good to hear, it seems to be very near to Kamloops, so I will surely check it out if I get the chance! Thank you! :-)
(Who knew being a railfan could be so great?)
 #1332010  by NorthWest

Yes; it was GN's response to the KVR. It preceded the KVR into abandonment around 1915. Much of the VV&E dipped into Washington State, but the KVR is entirely in Canada. The Myra Canyon and Othello Tunnels sections are the prettiest.
 #1332026  by DanielRailfan

Very interesting, I will do some extensive research about these events, they seem very interesting! Is the KVR only in BC? And thank you, I will keep these places in mind! They do sound very nice.
 #1371054  by cnr1949

If you don't already have it, an excellent book is Steam Along the Boundary, by Robert D. Turner and J.S. David Wilkie. It gives the history of southern BC railways. You can access the former lines in many places: Greenwood, Castlegar, Cranbrook, Christina Lake (I have cycled the line above Christina Lake, from Paulson to Christina Lake and down across the steel trestle across the Kettle River - Columbia and Western Rail Trail. It helped that there were two of us, each with a vehicle, so we drove up to Paulson with our bikes, leaving the other vehicle at Christina Lake).
 #1397865  by ENR3870

KVR Mileboards by Joe Smuin is another great book. It covers all the KVR trackage by mile and subdivision.
 #1475910  by Trestle22

Hi everyone! I'm looking for information to find information! I work with a group that is restoring a 1921 CP Plow. We are looking to find a McClary 213 Van coal stove for our unit. I have found one, but it is out of our budget ($4 grand). Also, I am trying to find information on a switch that we purchased with the understanding it was a "yard switch". I have not been able to locate any information on switches. It is stamped with " Model 16" and visible on the top portion is" _ _ 2165 B" I can not make out the first two letters/digits. The third thing I am trying to find information on would be for our 1977 CP Caboose (Wide Vision). It appears that there were once some type of cover for the interior ceiling lights. I haven't been able to find any pictures showing what these would have been. These two units are static (open when we can for tours). Units similar to these once ran on the Nakusp & Slocan Railway. These units are in Nakusp, BC and are being restored to reflect the history of CP Rail in Nakusp. Both units are now listed in the Canadian Trackside Guide. Thanks in advance for any help!