Railroad Forums 

• Toronto Transit Commision Subways

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#100337  by Robert Paniagua

Well, I know it's a bit of a late post, but I went there in April, and got to spot, but not ride on those H4's. But it seems that they are starting to be reduced in service soon......

#104173  by trainmaster_1

Nah wouldn't count on it, I worked on the TTC as a co-op student and heard of alot of rumours about expanding some of the subway routes in different directions, but to get straight to the answer, the H-4's are still in use, infact I was riding them home from work, it looks more old school inside than the rest, heck I think there assigned to the Greenwood Carhouse (Ken correct me on this), and usually run in the Bloor - Danforth line, but sometimes on the Yonge-University-Spadina line.

#104214  by Robert Paniagua

Oh good, glad they'll stay in revenue service a bit longer then. The inside does indeed look like the MBTA's 01400 Red Line cars, built at the same time as the M1s (I remember those).

#366198  by Robert Paniagua

Well, now the TTC is getting new cars out of Bombardier, a complete whole new design, and runs as permanent six-car sets with full width cabs. They should be in service two years from now replacing the H4s and H5s.

#374689  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Speaking about the TTC: How many of the original 1953-54 subway cars were preserved and does anyone remember exactly when the Gloucester Reds were retired? What about the PCCs used on the Spadina Line-how many are there now? Does the TTC have any sort of transit museum like cities like NYC and London? Thanks all for any info in advance-MACTRAXX

#374951  by Ken V

Transit isn't really my thing but I do know that the TTC has a couple of PCC cars maintained for occasional special events. I don't know if any of the old subway cars are still around or not. There is a "trolly" museum east of Toronto near Rockwood: Halton County Radial Railway Museum.
I've never been there however.

#374996  by Robert Paniagua

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: Speaking about the TTC: How many of the original 1953-54 subway cars were preserved and does anyone remember exactly when the Gloucester Reds were retired? What about the PCCs used on the Spadina Line-how many are there now? Does the TTC have any sort of transit museum like cities like NYC and London? Thanks all for any info in advance-MACTRAXX
Actaully, 5098/99 are at Halton County Radial, and it's more like the Seashore Trolley Museum. Halton Co. also has the first two M1s 5300/5301 after they were replaced by the T1 fleet. I have seen some of the red Gloucester cars and M1s but never got to ride on them. The oldest piece of rolling stock (heavy Rail) I rode in Toronto was the 1965/66 St. Louis H1, which were also replaced by the T1s too.
 #1193389  by Robert Paniagua

Just found out this morning that last week, the H5 fleet made it's final revenue run, although I heard from elsewhere that may make a final run this Friday, Jun 14, although of course, I wont be there.

So this leaves the UTDC H6 (blt 1985-87) as the oldest railcars except the SRT ICTS TIW cars which were built from 1983-85, so the oldes will be now 28-30 years old, unlike here in Boston, where our oldest fleet is the 1968/69 built Pullman-Standard #1 Red Line railcars, if anyone wants to ride some thing old, come here to MBTA's Red Line