Railroad Forums 

• Railway Crossing for Film

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1228489  by Ken V

Lisa, your best chance would be by talking to a shortline or tourist railway. The tracks that go through Caledon are owned by the Town of Orangeville and operated by Cando Contracting as the Orangeville Brampton Railway. Other shortlines in the area are the Barrie Collingwood Railway (also Cando) and the Guelph Junction Railway (Ontario Southland). Local tourist railways are the York-Durham Heritage Railway in Stouffville and the South Simcoe Railway in Tottenham.

By no means should you or anyone attempt to take a car (or anything else) onto the tracks without permission of the owner. That's trespassing which is illegal, and dangerous, and could result in very stiff penalties.
 #1231809  by MikeCDN

You could also try the Halton County Radial Railway. It's an active museum that is dedicated to street cars and electric locomotives and has level crossings. They've allowed a few movie and TV shoots there over the years.

I would like to echo Ken's comments about seeking permission about going onto the tracks. Furthermore, you should treat every railway crossing as though there is a train coming. Treat them like you would a loaded gun.

Level crossing " incidents " are more common than you might think and often end in fatalities. In my years of railroading, I've seen and heard of too many. Tresspassing in these cases often end horribly.

Just my thoughts,

M