Railroad Forums 

• Franz, ON, Oba, ON and Frater, ON

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1193409  by MikeCDN

I'm very interested in this part of Northern Ontario and will be in the general vincinity this September.

Can anyone tell me if anything exists of these two towns? Or are they now just ghost towns with railway diamonds and sidings? Are the worth visiting?

Thank you in advance,

M.
 #1193526  by labaienordique

Having ridden on all the trains that pass through these areas, I'd say the only one that is remotely worth visiting would be Oba. There is a bit of town component to Oba. Though small, there are people who live there.

About all there is to Franz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykyi9aJ2cuo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About all there is to Frater.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mesr9PNsBRc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1193580  by MikeCDN

Thank you.

I'm planning on hitting a fishing lodge up that way for a vacation and will take the VIA - if they aren't still on strike then. Do you know if there's a general store in the hamlet? Or should I bring all food that I'll need up there?

Thanks in advance,

M.
 #1194410  by labaienordique

I would prepare accordingly for food. I don't recall seeing anything.

If you're coming from the west from Hornepayne, I've taken the opportunity to visit the grocery store there to stock up on some food. The train is paused for about half an hour & the store is minutes from the station. If you're taking the Algoma train from Sault-Ste-Marie or Hearst, you could stock up on some food before embarking the train. I think there is also a small store in Hawk Jct where the train stops for a 30 minute break.