Railroad Forums 

• Railpower Revises Previous Financial Results

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#624578  by mxdata

Here is link to an announcement worth reading. Particularly note the last few sentences where they indicate that they are studying whether they can remain in business. "...there is no certainty that these and other strategies will be sufficient to permit the corporation to continue operations."

http://railpower.com/dl/news/news_2009_01_09_e.pdf

MX
 #627221  by v8interceptor

mxdata wrote:Here is link to an announcement worth reading. Particularly note the last few sentences where they indicate that they are studying whether they can remain in business. "...there is no certainty that these and other strategies will be sufficient to permit the corporation to continue operations."

http://railpower.com/dl/news/news_2009_01_09_e.pdf

MX
I predict unless they find a buyer the doors will close. Too bad they had some interesting ideas...
 #627591  by pablo

I am welcome to be told I'm wrong, but it sounds like this was another example of a product or company that was unprepared for the problems caused by the incessant vibrations inherent in railroading, and the problems that said vibrations cause.

It's a shame. This is a good idea, and will continue to be so.

Dave Becker
 #627636  by Sir Ray

pablo wrote:I am welcome to be told I'm wrong, but it sounds like this was another example of a product or company that was unprepared for the problems caused by the incessant vibrations inherent in railroading, and the problems that said vibrations cause.
Is that the reason they had problems with the batteries? - I just though they were using sub-par battery technology - were the cables coming loose, or the mounts cracking or something?
 #627944  by mxdata

I keep hearing that the production batteries weren't nearly as good as the prototypes. Fascinating how difficult it is nowadays to get battery quality equal to what the USN was able to achieve in fleet submarines in the late 1930s. Nothing quite like a large bank of batteries to give you an impressive fire when something goes wrong.

MX