Railroad Forums 

• New BL14CG locomotive from Brookville

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#566621  by MEC407

According to the press release, this genset locomotive also includes regenerative braking; would that make it a combination genset-hybrid? I assume there is a bank of batteries that stores the energy created by braking, and that energy can then be reused as traction power. I think this is similar to what GE is doing with their hybrid Evolution locomotive.

Here's the link:

http://www.brookvilleequipment.com/foru ... ?p=143#143
 #566686  by DutchRailnut

They are just Genset(cogeneration) locomotives not Hybrids, so no batteries to regenerate to.
 #566690  by MEC407

If there are no storage batteries, how does the regenerative braking work?
 #566694  by DutchRailnut

beats me, they have no regenerative brakes on BL20GH which is road locomotive these BL14CG's are switchers used in GCT where speed is 10 mph max.
even if they go on road trip to MO or Harmon their speed is 25 in tunnel and 40 on mainline , hardly a unit thats gone save energy during braking.
 #566828  by MEC407

I contacted Brookville for clarification on how the regenerative braking system works. Here is their response:
In simple terms, Brookville's regenerative brake set-up on this BL14CG locomotive for MTA does not utilize batteries for storage of this recycled energy, but instead utilizes it to power the common bus. This will allow all parasitic loads to be fed by braking energy (some examples include: lighting, HVAC, air compressors, etc.) In the BL14CG, this will greatly reduce the necessity of the main motive power from running. Thus the unit can function on a single 700 Hp engine, perhaps even running the single engine at idle, reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

Very generically, that is the current way our regenerative brakes are being used on the BL14CG. However, the technology is available to use the regenerative brakes with optional storage systems should the customer desire that ability.
 #666729  by FL9AC

The second and final BL14CG for Metro-North Railroad recently arrived in Croton, N.Y. Both units should begin extensive testing fairly soon.
 #666759  by amtrakhogger

Maybe the idea of "regenerative" braking was an incorrect term to actually describe "dynamic" braking.
 #666836  by DutchRailnut

Dynamic braking does not have to be regenerative, and how many DC locomotives you know have Dynamic at speeds below 10 mph.
 #667136  by Jtgshu

DutchRailnut wrote:Dynamic braking does not have to be regenerative, and how many DC locomotives you know have Dynamic at speeds below 10 mph.
Extended Range DB goes down really low - the Pax Geeps I run (even the work engine GP40-2s) keep dynamic braking on until about 3-2 mph.
 #704747  by DutchRailnut

The BL14's do not have third rail gear.