Railroad Forums 

• PLYMOUTH LOCOMOTIVES

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#870587  by GSC

Athearn's "Hustler", an HO MDT Plymouth, and a teeny Plymouth HOn30 (whatever it's name was) are part of my necessary collection.

Working on, restoring, and running real Plymouth critters in museum service has always been a high point in my life.
 #890029  by Storknest

Looking for information or photos about a Plymouth locomotive. I tried searching but cannot find anything more than this and photos of a 45 ton Plymouth never specify if this is the one, there are a couple of different designs making ID a bit harder.
Brooklyn Army Terminal
Plymouth c/n:4069 built:11/15/1940, gauge:standard, model:45T KC wheel set: B or B-B, acquired new, Fate - Root - Heath / Plymouth Locomotive sales records indicate this locomotive was ordered by the War Department, QMCUSA, Washington DC, and shipped to Port Quartermaster, U.S. Army, Brooklyn, NY; Renumbered Army #7426, Camp Claiborne, LA; for sale via WAA (War Assets Administration) 2/1946
 #1314120  by Michael D. Storey

There is a Plymouth at the Henry Ford Museum ('The Ford") in Dearborn They restored the mechanicals about 5 years ago
The New York Museum of Transportation has a 4 wheel, 4 gear gas fueled unit.
A small number of them sit on a siding south of Baltimore near the Ft Smallwood Road bridge
Hey That's all I got
 #1563345  by GSC

More info on the WW1-era 2' gauge Plymouths at NJMT Pine Creek RR:

The two old friction drive locos, a J. D. Fate and a Fate-Root-Heath (forerunners to Plymouth), were both classified as 3-1/2 ton AL models.

The Burton loco, close enough in design to the AL models to be a patent infringement, was built in Cincinnati between probably in 1920. Burton built critters between 1920 and 1928. Around 250 locos were built.