Railroad Forums 

• AMTK #573

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#336777  by Engineer James

Ok, found a picture of AMTK GP15 #573. Now, I have tirelessly have done about 10 searches on Google, Dogpile, and Alltheweb. The Geep looks newer. I did not think EMD still made them. She reminds me more of a Green Goat, than a Geep.... can some one give me some background??

See the picture on Flickr

Edited by a Moderator (forum policy on images) Dec 20, 126PM
 #336809  by chuchubob

Engineer James wrote:Ok, found a picture of AMTK GP15 #573. Now, I have tirelessly have done about 10 searches on Google, Dogpile, and Alltheweb. The Geep looks newer. I did not think EMD still made them. She reminds me more of a Green Goat, than a Geep.... can some one give me some background??

See the picture on Flickr
This is not an EMD GP15. It is a Motive Power Industries MP1500D, which is now known as GP15 for purposes of instigating confusion.

http://yardlimit.railfan.net/mk/gp15/index.html

#337084  by wigwagfan

ElectroMotive Diesel (the former Electro-Motive Division of General Motors) did enter into a marketing agreement with MotivePower Industries a few years ago to cross-market the GP15D and GP20D locomotives.

EMD sold the locomotives, MPI built them. I believe that EMD may have provided some sort of engineering support or maybe even manufactured some components of the locomotive, but the units were still built by MPI in Boise, Idaho. Sometimes they would carry a EMD builders plate, but it clearly stated the unit was actually built by MPI in Boise.

While EMD no longer lists the GP15D on their website they still list the GP20D as a current model. HOWEVER - the picture of the Amtrak locomotive doesn't resemble the GP20D (very different cab design), and judging from this website, looks like that the Amtrak locomotive had really nothing to do with EMD other than coincidential use of EMD design with regards to the trucks, cab, and probably prime mover, traction motors, and other components. They also clearly bear a MotivePower Industries builders plate which means likely EMD didn't receive the order.

MotivePower Industries doesn't seem to offer much on their website...

#337116  by USRailFan

Aren't they built on GP9 frames?

#337128  by Engineer James

They do not look like their earlier GP9 counterparts....
Last edited by Engineer James on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #337927  by Lirr168

chuchubob wrote:This is not an EMD GP15. It is a Motive Power Industries MP1500D, which is now known as GP15 for purposes of instigating confusion.
Correction, the locomotive in question is actually an MP1500B, alternatively referred to as an MP15B. The model ordered by Amtrak is nearly identical to the MP1500D (a.ka. GP15D) except that the cab roof was designed lower to accomodate the East River Tunnels should one of these be needed to bail out a train in the event of a power failure.

A more complete description of the purchase agreement and specifications can be found in the March 2005 issue of Trains.

Hope that helps.

-Kyle

#338033  by jz441

USRailFan wrote:Aren't they built on GP9 frames?
Yes, and the Green Goats are also built on GP9 frames.

#338071  by Tadman

I bet they could be built on GP35 platforms as well - that's a rather unloved engine due to some bleeding-edge 1960's electronics that aren't holding up. The only road I see operating them in volume is ATSF/BNSF, and those are used as local power only.

#338074  by jonnhrr

Tadman wrote:I bet they could be built on GP35 platforms as well - that's a rather unloved engine due to some bleeding-edge 1960's electronics that aren't holding up. The only road I see operating them in volume is ATSF/BNSF, and those are used as local power only.
Pan Am Railways (formerly known as Guilford) stil operates a dozen or so GP 35's - not a large fleet by BNSF standards but large by Guilford standards :-)

#341913  by Engineer James

Maybe not, move it when you get a second, thank you.