Railroad Forums 

• What is it? (switcher #5118)

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#346719  by Engineer James

I have never seen this unit. Having some Electrical sence says that from a distance you probably could not see them unless they were within a short range.

#346738  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Engineer James wrote:I have never seen this unit. Having some Electrical sence says that from a distance you probably could not see them unless they were within a short range.
What is important about being able to see the lights from a distance at a Pedestrian or Vehicle crossing?

#346739  by Engineer James

not for pedestrian crossings nor vechicle crossings. yard work is my thought. Someone comes walkin along trespassing and accidently gets hit by the thing. Though I do not know much about the area or road myself. What are the standards for RCPU's?

#346742  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Engineer James wrote:not for pedestrian crossings nor vechicle crossings. yard work is my thought. Someone comes walkin along trespassing and accidently gets hit by the thing. Though I do not know much about the area or road myself. What are the standards for RCPU's?
The RC units installed on the EMD property Yard switchers had the X-mas tree on the side of the cab. When I first used it, I looked at the lights to verify the unit transitioned to the mode I commanded. After awhile, the shoulder slung unit kept falling down and breaking. Never had a reason to look at the x-mas tree while operating, per property orders.

Someone from the road will need to finish answering this.

#346773  by MEC407

Engineer James wrote:not for pedestrian crossings nor vechicle crossings. yard work is my thought. Someone comes walkin along trespassing and accidently gets hit by the thing. Though I do not know much about the area or road myself. What are the standards for RCPU's?
Well, if the headlights / ditch lights / horn / bell aren't enough to get the trespassers to move out of the way, I doubt that any number of strobes or flashers are going to make any difference. So the whole thing is moot.

#346785  by ExEMDLOCOTester

MEC407 wrote:
Well, if the headlights / ditch lights / horn / bell aren't enough to get the trespassers to move out of the way, I doubt that any number of strobes or flashers are going to make any difference. So the whole thing is moot.
Thanks MEC, I didn't feel qualified to make that statment for the road. :-D

#346788  by MEC407

The sad truth is that there will always be some people who get run over by locos, regardless of all the safety devices that are in place. You could put a giant billboard on the loco that says "STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL GET KILLED!" and some people would still walk in front of it and get hit. Why? I don't know. That's just the way it is. Fortunately, most people have enough common sense to stay out of the way of a moving object that is bigger than they are.

Back to the original topic: does anybody know the specs of this unit? I'm curious as to the horsepower, starting and continuous tractive effort, fuel economy, etc.

#346821  by 2spot

MEC407 wrote:The sad truth is that there will always be some people who get run over by locos, regardless of all the safety devices that are in place. You could put a giant billboard on the loco that says "STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL GET KILLED!" and some people would still walk in front of it and get hit. Why? I don't know. That's just the way it is. Fortunately, most people have enough common sense to stay out of the way of a moving object that is bigger than they are.
Not to stray from the original topic too far but when the Liverpool & Manchester Railway had its opening day, Stephensons Rocket (the first successful locomotive) struck and killed one William Huskisson. People since that first day have failed to recognize the dangers trains pose to them.
Is a train the only form of transportation that cant swerve around a careless human?

And now back to discussing the #5118...

#346843  by Engineer James

Ok, I was just wondering from the safety side of things.
 #361969  by snitkofj

LEDs have come a long way in the past few years. Police and Fire departments are using them inplace of traditional warning lights to reduce electrical draw. They are replacing both traditional filiment bulbs and strobes.