Railroad Forums 

• C30-S7R

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#323329  by MEC407

This question probably belongs in the GE forum.
 #323472  by Komachi

Well, yes and no.

It is a GE product, but it was rebuilt at the shops down in Mexico, right? (Empalme, if I'm not mistaken, yes?) A "home-grown" project using GE products and support?

I'm going to allow it, as a railroad's own rebuilding program kinda falls under the "rebuilders" category of this forum (hey, my discretion, innit?). Unless evidence proves otherwise (I'll leave that to the prosecution and the defense. Hey, I was a Criminal Justice major for 2.5 - 3 years of my college career, have to put it to use somehow!).

Now, given it has the "S7R" designation, I'm assuming that's a "Super Seven" Rebuild, yes? Or am I incorrect on that line of thinking?

#323479  by MEC407

You are correct that it was not entirely built by GE at Erie; however, that could mean that SD80MACs should be discussed in this forum rather than the EMD forum, since they were built/assembled not by EMD, but by Conrail. :wink:
 #323499  by Komachi

Define "rebuilder."

Are we talking about third parties, or do not a railroad's shop forces and/or rebuild programs (with a couple notable exceptions, like the Santa Fe CF-7 program) also fall under this heading?

I would also ask the question of how much involvement GE had in the S7R program. If it was mostly a GE thing, then, yes, I could see the argument to move it to the GE forum, whereas if it was totally an FNM project with GE support, then I would say it can remain here. This is where "blurred lines" and "grey areas" tend to affect discussions, as they could be argued either way.