Railroad Forums 

• So, how are Railpower's Green Goat Sales Doing anyway?

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#591540  by 2spot

Railpower reports that it has sold two RP20BD Eco-motive locomotives to the Modesto & Empire Traction Company of Modesto, California. Its a pretty significant purchase for a railway with 5 miles of 'main line', and situated completely within an industrial park. I really hope this doesn't mean the end of the line for any of their GE 70 tonners though.

The stock price for Railpower is $ 0.20 / share today.
 #609449  by mxdata

Stock has been running between 12 and 15 cents a share lately, and the Chief Financial Officer has resigned. Given the general trend of recent events, it is probably worth watching Railpower for future announcements. I notice that the folks who were previously chanting the praises of Railpower seem to be missing lately, as has also been the case for Colorado Railcar. Where are all the "experts" when we need them? :wink:

http://railpower.com/dl/news/news_2008_12_04_e.pdf

MX
 #617611  by mxdata

I see where Railpower stock is hovering around ten cents this week. That must be great news for that teachers retirement fund that invested millions of dollars when it was worth about three times as much. I wonder how much longer before some more news announcements.

MX
 #631009  by mxdata

More news - in the last couple days they announced that they are laying off about 37% of their work force. The latest press release has more wording to the effect that they are studying whether they can remain in business.

MX
 #1024382  by mxdata

Since there was only one other posting in this entire category of rebuilders and smaller locomotive works so far this year, and we are now in March 2012, I just thought it would be fun to bring this priceless gem of a discussion back up to the top of the page again.

MX
 #1200666  by Sir Ray

mxdata wrote:Since there was only one other posting in this entire category of rebuilders and smaller locomotive works so far this year, and we are now in March 2012, I just thought it would be fun to bring this priceless gem of a discussion back up to the top of the page again.
Well now it's July 2013, and while many things have happened, not too much in this forum has. Oddly, I didn't see a thread (or this thread updated at the time) with Railpowers' eventual fate, as related by Wiki:
On June 18, 2009, R.J. Corman Railroad Group announced that it had completed its acquisition of Railpower's assets, although none of the company's liabilities. As a result of the acquisition, customers of Railpower were forced to renegotiate servicing contracts with Corman, as the warranties on the locomotives ceased when the old company was purchased. Corman plans to market genset locomotives exclusively, although company executives have not ruled out hybrid locomotives, saying that though they haven't been abandoned, they are not a priority. In the eight months after Railpower's acquisition, the company has delivered just two locomotives, although according to Corman, proposals have been issued for up to 50 locomotives during the next few years, and the company is confident that orders will resume.

Railpower delivered a single RP20D unit to the Port of Montreal in October 2010, followed by two more in the first quarter of 2012 and a fourth to follow later in the year.
Woot, 4 GenSets in 4 years!
So I guess the answer to my question of 7 years ago is now...really lously.

ETA, actually there was a thread about the Corman buyout at the time, just nothing updated in this thread...