Railroad Forums 

• So, how are Railpower's Green Goat Sales Doing anyway?

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#204932  by Sir Ray

Saw the Train's article on the cabless Green Goats (for BNSF, I think), and went to their website (I see they have two Green Goats models GG20B & GG10B, and I guess the Green Kid is a dead end... - plus there were no photos of the RP road switchers, so maybe those are on hold too).

Anyway, does anyone have any solid sales figures (I see mentions here and there about Army Units, 100+ UP units, 35+ for CPR, a handful for BNSF and so on, but I'm wondering if there is a consolidate, up-to-date list anyway).
Also, are all the frames used salvaged GP unit frames, and would they ever have the capability to obtain new frames from some source?

#205126  by 2spot

The most complete answer to most of your questions was in the January issue of Model Railroader. In fact, Railpower has a link to this issue. http://www.railpower.com/dl/media/media ... roader.pdf In short they've sold around 175 units, they also build them out of GE frame and truck donors. Railpower has a Memorandum of Understanding with a builder in Japan and possibly Britain. They are built in the USA and Canada now.

#209416  by Trackmobile

Checkout the prototype drawings in the January 2006 Model Railroader.

#254902  by Sir Ray

OK, so while I was clipping some old Model Railroaders, I came across the RailPower Green Goat article. Article made it sound like 175 locomotives were in production/sold at that time (I'm guessing mid 2005, as the article appeared in the January 2006 issue).
Fine, except the latest news on Railpower's web site is the 1st quarter was that only 1 unit was build, and 52 were in various stages of production.
1 per quarter is no way to get up to 175 units in a hurry (they also lost 8.7 million C$ this quarter).
http://www.railpower.com/dl/news/news_2006_05_04.pdf
Well heck, this doesn't seem too hot compared to the media buzz of last year - although they do state they had 162 firm orders at the end of the quarter, I'm just wondering about their production - they hope to ramp up to 10-15 deliveries per quarter. Meh.
So, just how many darn Green Goats are out there on the tracks right now?
Also, trying to figure out if they are producing (or contracting for) new frames and trucks yet, or continuing to dip from the heavily-tapped used GP frame pool (although the MR article did mention GE frames - now that's a somewhat different tack...)

#259681  by tominboise

There are around 44 Battery green goats out and about, most built on EMD frames of the GP7/9/etc, but at least 10 built on GE B23 and B30 frames.

#259697  by UPRR engineer

Couple months or so ago i saw one (UP) that looked like it caught fire, going for a ride on flat car. Think it was on an east bound.

#259763  by Alcoman

Super Steel in Scotia,NY is now building them. I saw 3 completed units recently. Photos soon. And the best part is that there NOT green!

#262978  by Sir Ray

tominboise wrote:There are around 44 Battery green goats out and about, most built on EMD frames of the GP7/9/etc, but at least 10 built on GE B23 and B30 frames.
44, OK, that seems reasonable - do any of those 10 GE-based frames include the 7 frames mentioned in this thread on the GE forum http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26364
Hopefully the Goat that looked burned wasn't due to internal factors - that's a great way to kill sales...

#263570  by tominboise

No, the 10 built to date are not in that bunch you refer to.

#318672  by mxdata

So how are they doing? All I see on their website indicates the anticipated production estimates have been dropped a lot. Anybody got any recent news?

#324948  by Sir Ray

Well, the December 2006 Railpace may have a hint as to why their stock prices and finances are taking a hit (as mentioned in other threads on this forum):
The Rail Power locomotives have been suffering from a series of failures in recent months due to fires and explosions occuring during battery chargings
The article also mentions CP reducing it's initial order - that can't be good.

#325035  by 2spot

CP has sold its first Green Goat #1700 to Amtrak, to become#599. It should be heading south from Vancouver this coming week after being rejected by BNSF earlier for not having alignment control couplers. This situation has been remedied. I understand its headed to LA. CP is building another GG20B phaseIII to become #1700, replacing the earlier one. Picture link: http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%2 ... 201700.htm