Railroad Forums 

• Progress Rail PR20B

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#1388963  by MEC407

Other than what I assume is a lower up-front cost (?), what advantage does this offer over the GP20C-ECO? I think most railroad CMOs would choose an 8-710 over a 3512 any day of the week (and twice on Sundays!).
 #1389012  by Backshophoss

The PR20B's can be Tier 3 or Tier 4 compliant by an exhaust treatment kit.
It's a new build from the trucks up.
Cat-EMD could not get the 710 prime mover Tier 4 compliant.
 #1389366  by tj48

Backshophoss wrote:The PR20B's can be Tier 3 or Tier 4 compliant by an exhaust treatment kit.
With the way the NIMBYS complain in Queens when they suddenly realized they live next to an active railroad line that's been there for longer than they have owned their homes, I'm guessing the Tier 3/Tier 4 component was a big deal for the NY&A. Despite the fact thousands of cars, trucks and buses travel all around them all day and all night which those same NIMBYS don't seem to have a problem with.
 #1389369  by MEC407

Backshophoss wrote:The PR20B's can be Tier 3 or Tier 4 compliant by an exhaust treatment kit.
The PDF says rebuilt trucks and traction motors. Same as the GP20C-ECO.
 #1389394  by Allen Hazen

Also from the pdf: the carbody looks a bit different (longer short hood, perhaps, though that might be an illusion from the camera angle). Since the engine is, I think, physically smaller than a 16-645, the cab could, in principle, be set a bit further back from the front of the unit.
More definitely, the pdf says the "frame" is new and crash-resistant. So perhaps we should interpret it as "new from the trucks up (though not including the trucks themselves)!
Intresting, given all that, that it looks as EMD-ish as it does: no effort at styling changes for "brand identification". Or maybe they thought about that and decided that, given the conservatism of railroad motive power people, having it me as much like an EMD as possible would be good for sales!
 #1389402  by Backshophoss

The "given" is recycled/rebuilt trucks from traded in units at outfits like Progress Rail.
As was noted in the .pdf,the frame is new,not recycled,Progress Rail is a part of the Cat/EMD family,
so shared styling cues from EMD is not surprising. :-)
 #1389493  by tj48

Allen Hazen wrote:Also from the pdf: the carbody looks a bit different (longer short hood, perhaps, though that might be an illusion from the camera angle). Since the engine is, I think, physically smaller than a 16-645, the cab could, in principle, be set a bit further back from the front of the unit.
More definitely, the pdf says the "frame" is new and crash-resistant.
From railpictures.net:
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d2/6 ... 089776.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have not been able to see these units in person but from the few photos I have seen the short hood looks longer to me as well. Matter of fact that was the first thing that struct me about them.
 #1389496  by MEC407

Guys, it's the same cab and nose as the GP20C-ECO. Probably the same frame too, if I had to guess.