Railroad Forums 

• Brookville to build four Milwaukee Streetcar vehicles

• All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works
All about locomotive rebuilders, small locomotive works, and experimental works

Moderator: Komachi

#1368029  by Jeff Smith

Progressive Railroading
Brookville to build four Milwaukee Streetcar vehicles for $18.2 million

Milwaukee city officials late last week chose Brookville Equipment Corp. to build the city's first four modern streetcar vehicles for $18.2 million.

The city has the option to purchase a fifth vehicle for the lakefront line extension, Milwaukee Streetcar officials said in a press release.

Late last month, Milwaukee received a $14.2 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER VII) grant to build that 0.7-mile extension.

Each 67-foot-long vehicle will be able to hold 150 passengers and have two doors per side. They'll also be equipped to provide access for wheelchairs and bicycles.
 #1368130  by NorthWest

I really wonder if it is time to develop a standard car design for new systems that is similar in concept to the PCC car. s It seems now that they design the system and then design the (thus very pricey) car around it when designing the system around the car might be more cost effective. I can't imagine that all these brand new systems have unique special conditions that require reinventing the car every time a new system is built.
 #1368289  by mtuandrew

NorthWest wrote:I really wonder if it is time to develop a standard car design for new systems that is similar in concept to the PCC car. s It seems now that they design the system and then design the (thus very pricey) car around it when designing the system around the car might be more cost effective. I can't imagine that all these brand new systems have unique special conditions that require reinventing the car every time a new system is built.
I'm sure they don't. Only reason why there won't be a new generation of PCC anytime soon: it only came about as a last-ditch effort to support both St. Louis Car Company and Pullman-Standard in the streetcar business. Without cars and buses, Brill, St. Louis, and Pullman-Standard would have all gone about their merry ways and kept building their own designs, rather than humbling themselves to work together.
 #1368712  by MEC407

150 people in one 67-foot vehicle? Is it me or does that seem like a lot? That's more passengers per foot than a school bus with 6-across seating and zero legroom.
 #1368718  by mtuandrew

MEC407 wrote:150 people in one 67-foot vehicle? Is it me or does that seem like a lot? That's more passengers per foot than a school bus with 6-across seating and zero legroom.
It includes standees. Still pretty high though.