Railroad Forums 

• MA - Manhan Rail Trail

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#997276  by lexon

I have been using the Manhan Rail Train starting in Easthampton, MA which extends up into Northampton, MA. I bike it quite a lot and see many out on the trail. I can put on 25 to 40 miles in a day and do some shopping also.
A new bridge over a busy road was put in and a new bridge over a small river. I still see many places where the railroad use to service different industries. One former place that must have had a big feed mill still has a end of siding bumper made from old rail.
Quite a few use it to walk or bike to and from work in good weather. Many handicapped in electric power carts, skate boarders who sometimes pole them selves along, mothers with in line skates pushing a stroller. Many different types of bikes today. Some volunteers have a small trailer behind their bike with tools for clearing branches that fall. One carries a small chain saw.
My girlfriend and I sometimes use a tandem TerraTrike which is a recumbent type bike. I mont a GoPro Hero video camera on my helmet.
Cross country skiers like it in the winter.
The Manhan continues along the Pan Am ROW for a short ways.
I carry my bike across the double track for the Pan Am Railway and pick up the Norwottuck Rail Trail the continues across the Connecticut River on an old railway bridge into Hadley and Amherst up to Belchertown. A tunnel is going to be built under the ROW soon as Amtrak is coming though this are in a few years and a double track upgrade is starting soon. The ROW will no doubt be all fenced in as right now the Pan Am comes though a little and about 20 mph. The track work is quite bad. I have seen a lot of it.

Rich