Railroad Forums 

• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#662796  by JBlaisdell

henry6 wrote:
alsorailfan wrote:
Sarge wrote:Whatever you do, don't look down! What is that ladder and bench for? OSHA-mandated work breaks? That must be a spectacular view, but I'm with Henry - I'll catch the train on the other side!
This kinda went over my head...ladder and bench..meaning??? Or is it the picture?

chris
Look at the picture. In one of the middle spans there appears to be a ladder dropping from the deck to the bottom of the truss.
This is for access to some of the original navigation lights, I believe.
 #713474  by DutchRailnut

Last slab in place for Walkway over Hudson river.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090905/N ... on%20River
When it opens to the public on Oct. 2, the bridge will form a spectacular connection between recreational trails on either side of the river.
 #716115  by DutchRailnut

fordhamroad wrote:-that would be a nice Metro-North excursion, train ride plus a guided walk across the bridge.

Roger
Guided ??? why ???? you cant find a mile long 100 foot high bridge ??
 #716124  by Noel Weaver

I don't think it is a bad idea for a guided tour, you can't just find a bridge built in 1888, over a mile long and 212 feet above
the water. You can't find scenery like that just anywhere nor history like that either.
I think this whole thing is a big plus for New York State and Poughkeepsie in particular.
I assume they are on target for the dedication and opening in October, I sure hope so.
When I come up to Connecticut in November, I hope to make the trip over to walk across at least part of this bridge at that
time.
Noel Weaver
 #720233  by TW1976

Our Vessel (PT 728) http://pt728.com/ will be taking part in the festivities for the bridge on 10/2 and 10/3. I will be doing a fireworks cruise on Friday night and 2 runs during the day on Saturday.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum who is familiar with the bridge's rail history, the fire and also with it's current makeover; would be interested in taking the ride with us and speaking to the crowds on board. We plan on taking about 40 people on each ride. The boat also has a nice sound system, so you won't have to do any shouting.

This would be for Friday night and/or Saturday during the day? A brief history is all that we are looking for. The crowds would be mostly non railfans, so no need to worry about "critics".

You would have a front row seat for the fireworks, a cool ride on a PT boat and will also walk away with one of our pt-728 shirts!

If anybody is interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Many Thanks
Tom
 #720411  by umtrr-author

Thanks for the link! I've been keeping casual tabs on how this project is going. (But don't look at the comments... they are the typical "high caliber" found on sites like this... not unlike that on the local Demogogue and Comical, for that matter.)

Tom, that sounds like a great offer, I hope you get someone to take you up on it.
 #720530  by TW1976

Thanks George, yes I was hoping a true railfan would be interested in doing this. I wanted to have somebody on the mic that would emphasize the railroad history more than walkway story and all of the political rhetoric.

I think it is a great thing that they have done with the bridge, but on the other side of the coin I worry that this country is turning too much of it's infrastructure into "theme parks".
 #720616  by DutchRailnut

you may want to contact Bernard Rudberg (sp) I believe he lives in Hopewell Jct , and is a member of of this board.http://www.railroad.net/forums/memberli ... ile&u=1461
 #720624  by DonPevsner

(1)The official public opening will take place at 3:00PM EDT on Saturday, October 3. From that time on, the general public can cross the Bridge by foot or bicycle.

(2)To read many fascinating facts on the Poughkeepsie Bridge, read the WIKIPEDIA article of that title. (Just Google "Poughkeepsie Bridge" to find the article.)