Railroad Forums 

• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#654304  by lvrr325

sd80mac wrote:
Someone told me that crews wont run 2 trains on the bridge at the same time. One crew would stop at the one side and wait for other train completed crossed the bridge. they said that it sways so much. Can anyone else confirm this?

One person showed me a picture of beam at bottom (same bridge??? I cant verify that), they are rusted through badly... yet, they still run the trains on that bridge.
Well, if you're referring to the Poughkeepsie bridge, it was a single track bridge, so unless both were going the same direction it would be hard to have two trains out there at once. Doesn't look to me to have ever been wide enough for two tracks, not unless the outside rails were right on the edge of the deck. It also hasn't seen a train since 1974.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #654350  by Bernard Rudberg

The bridge inspectors crawled all over every inch of that bridge last year. That was even more interesting than working on top of the deck.

At a meeting this week, Fred Schaefer said they are ahead of schedule and expect to have the deck done by around August. The LED lights will be built into the railings and shine down on the deck so that it won't spoil your view of the stars at night.

The grand opening is scheduled for the weekend of October 3/4 2009. A big celebration is planned.

One retired engineer told me that he had a fireman who was afraid of heights. He would hide under the cab console while they crossed the bridge.

And , yes, the view up there is spectacular.

Bernie Rudberg
 #654353  by Bernard Rudberg

The bridge safety inspectors climbed all over every inch of that bridge last year. That was even more interesting than working on top of the deck.

At a meeting this week, Fred Schaefer said they are ahead of schedule and expect to have the deck done by around August. The LED lights will be built into the railings and shine down on the deck so they won't spoil your view of the stars at night. You should not have any problem walking in the middle of a 35 foot wide deck.

The grand opening is scheduled for the weekend of October 3/4 2009. A big celebration is planned.

A retired engineer told me that he had a fireman who was afraid of heights. He would hide under the cab console while they crossed the bridge.

An, yes, the view from up there is spectacular.

Bernie Rudberg
 #654355  by Bernard Rudberg

The bridge safety inspectors climbed all over every inch of that bridge last year. That was even more interesting than working on top of the deck.

At a meeting this week, Fred Schaefer said they are ahead of schedule and expect to have the deck done by around August. The LED lights will be built into the railings and shine down on the deck so they won't spoil your view of the stars at night. You should not have any problem walking in the middle of a 35 foot wide deck.

A retired engineer told me that he had a fireman who was afraid of heights. He would hide under the cab console while they crossed the bridge.

Bernie Rudberg
 #654357  by Bernard Rudberg

Bernie Rudberg
 #654377  by Noel Weaver

Bernie, any idea what the schedule will be after the grand opening in October? I hope to get up for the New Haven event
again this year in November and would like a good look and maybe a walk partially out if it is available at that time probably
on the following Sunday after the show in North Haven which is on Saturday, November 14th?
Noel Weaver
 #654396  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
Someone told me that crews wont run 2 trains on the bridge at the same time. One crew would stop at the one side and wait for other train completed crossed the bridge. they said that it sways so much. Can anyone else confirm this?

One person showed me a picture of beam at bottom (same bridge??? I cant verify that), they are rusted through badly... yet, they still run the trains on that bridge.
Well, if you're referring to the Poughkeepsie bridge, it was a single track bridge, so unless both were going the same direction it would be hard to have two trains out there at once. Doesn't look to me to have ever been wide enough for two tracks, not unless the outside rails were right on the edge of the deck. It also hasn't seen a train since 1974.
I was refering to A.E. Smith bridge, which Charlie6017 posted his comment about it. The quote box is in there.
 #654440  by isaksenj

[quote="lvrr325"][quote="sd80mac"]

Well, if you're referring to the Poughkeepsie bridge, it was a single track bridge, so unless both were going the same direction it would be hard to have two trains out there at once. Doesn't look to me to have ever been wide enough for two tracks, not unless the outside rails were right on the edge of the deck. It also hasn't seen a train since 1974.[/quote]

If you look at the Journal photos, you'll see that he structure was originally configured for two tracks. Single/gantlet tracks came later.
 #654670  by Bernard Rudberg

Noel,
The plan is to turn the walkway over to the NY State Parks Department to operate as a NY State Park. I am not sure when that is supposed to happen. They say there will not be any fees to walk on the bridge.

I will talk to Fred Schaefer and see what I can find out.

Bernie
 #657996  by DonPevsner

The grand opening of the "Walkway Over The Hudson", across the Poughkeepsie Bridge, has now been set for the weekend of October 3-4, 2009.
 #658364  by Noel Weaver

BobLI wrote:The view should be fantastic on that date with the fall colors on those trees.
The view from this bridge is fantastic, day or night, 365 days a year. It is great that it will be preserved for those who never
had an opportunity to cross it on a train whether it be the engine or caboose of a freight train or the cushions of a
passenger train. At least you will have a chance to walk out on this fabulous bridge and look north, south, east and west
and see for yourself the beauty of the Hudson Valley from high up on a bridge.
I have been across this bridge many times both on passenger trains and on freight trains and now I am looking forward to
walking across at least part of this structure.
Noel Weaver
 #658394  by sd80mac

Noel Weaver wrote:
BobLI wrote:The view should be fantastic on that date with the fall colors on those trees.
The view from this bridge is fantastic, day or night, 365 days a year. It is great that it will be preserved for those who never
had an opportunity to cross it on a train whether it be the engine or caboose of a freight train or the cushions of a
passenger train. At least you will have a chance to walk out on this fabulous bridge and look north, south, east and west
and see for yourself the beauty of the Hudson Valley from high up on a bridge.
I have been across this bridge many times both on passenger trains and on freight trains and now I am looking forward to
walking across at least part of this structure.
Noel Weaver

you're right.. it doesnt always come from RR bridge too. I worked on Rip Van Winkle Bridge up at Catskill-Hudson, walking and crawling (tight space) on catwalk, on angle beam, and on chords (bottom structure of the bridge. It was beauty 360 degree view in any time of year and weather (although I didn't work in winter). Although it's not high as Poughkeepsi Bridge..
 #658513  by tree68

Bernard Rudberg wrote:Noel,
The plan is to turn the walkway over to the NY State Parks Department to operate as a NY State Park. I am not sure when that is supposed to happen. They say there will not be any fees to walk on the bridge.

I will talk to Fred Schaefer and see what I can find out.

Bernie
If it's the state parks, the walk on the bridge will be free, but it'll be $6 to park....