Railroad Forums 

• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#720626  by TW1976

I know that I could print something and hand it to someone to read. I just thought it would be better having someone who really cared about the bridge do the talking. I would rather give someone like that the opportunity to get out on the boat and see the show from the water.
 #720886  by Bernard Rudberg

The best place to see the bridge is from Waryas Park which is along the river bank just down from the Metro North station. The bridge itself will not be open to the public until Saturday afternoon. The Walkway web site has maps etc.

The web site is:

http://www.walkway.org/

Bernie Rudberg
 #720921  by RussNelson

It looks like the Highland end is not (yet?) connected to the rail-trail. Drove over the bridge today and got a few piccies of the bridge. Most of the construction equipment is gone. The ROW at NY-9 is still completely brushed over. Hopefully there are plans to connect the bridge with the trail.

Is the Pok end connected to the Dutchess County Rail-Trail?
 #720941  by DonPevsner

Walkway Chairman Fred Schaeffer advised me yesterday that the rail trails at both ends of the Bridge still require several miles of work. He will begin addressing this after the Grand Opening of October 3, 2009.
 #720962  by TW1976

Bernie,

Maybe we can do another date in the future. I am looking for different ways to market the boat on the Hudson.

If I had enough people, I could set up some narrated rail tours aboard the boat with the Poughkeepsie Bridge being the center attraction. Also, our homeport is within sight of the West Shore Division trestle over the Rondout creek.

Hope you enjoy the weekend festivities

Tom
 #721064  by Bernard Rudberg

When the dust settles we can talk it over. We go to Kingston quite a bit because our daughter lives there with her husband and one of our grandsons. They live just up the hill next to the big blue water tower.

Keep me posted on how things are going.

Bernie
 #723182  by Noel Weaver

Below is a link to a feature from the Poughkeepsie Journal for Sunday which includes excellent reading of this extraordinary
event.
I still want to walk across this bridge next month while I am in Connecticut if I feel up to doing it.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/arti ... GECAROUSEL
Michael Valkys • Poughkeepsie Journal • October 4, 2009
A steady stream of people could be seen flowing in both directions of the Walkway Over the Hudson on Sunday, the first full day of public access for the pedestrian span. Thousands of pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders, Segway riders and wheelchair users could be seen slowly making their way across the 1.25-mile bridge. Although it took 35 years for the span to open, many people felt that it was worth the wait.
Enjoy the reading.
Noel Weaver
 #725002  by Bernard Rudberg

I got this note today from the New York State Parks Dept. It looks like I have become one of "the voices in the Bridge". If you call the phone number you can listen to the narrations from any phone, anywhere. I guess you could call it "the armchair tour".

Bernie Rudberg

Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:52 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: Massie, Amanda (PEB)
Subject: Walkway Over the Hudson

Dear Bernie,

Thank you so much for helping us with the Walkway Over the Hudson interpretive project. The wonderful historic images that the late Austin McEntee collected and that you gave us permission to use appear on many of the signs along the bridge. The photographs greatly enhance the interpretive signs and promise to enrich the experiences of all those who visit the new state historic park. Several of the bridge signs include cell phone audio tours and your voice can be heard on three of the tours; if you'd like to listen, the number is 845-201-3187 and the tour numbers are 6#, 11#, and 41#. We appreciate your important contribution to Walkway. Please let us know if we can assist you in any way in the future. Thanks again.

Austin O'Brien
Bureau of Historic Sites
NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
PO Box 219 - Peebles island
Waterford, NY 12188
518-237-8643 x3279
 #725038  by DutchRailnut

Very nice , always a positive note, when railfan/historians can be of help, congratulations Mr.Rudberg. :-D :-D