Railroad Forums 

• MILW Pacific Extension ... how much is a rail trail now?

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#35113  by Agent at Clicquot

Hi all

How much of the Milwaukee Road's Pacfic Extension is a rail trail now? I know the section through Snoqualmie tunnel is, and I think there's another section in Idaho. Since my only experience out there was a single trip west on the Builder in '86, I'm a little outta my depth.

Thanks,

* JB *
 #106026  by wigwagfan

Agent at Clicquot wrote:Hi all

How much of the Milwaukee Road's Pacfic Extension is a rail trail now? I know the section through Snoqualmie tunnel is, and I think there's another section in Idaho. Since my only experience out there was a single trip west on the Builder in '86, I'm a little outta my depth.

Thanks,

* JB *
This is an old post but I'll see if anyone is out there watching...

The roadbed that goes over Lookout Pass on the Idaho-Montana State Line is a snowmobile/mountain bike trail; I believe it's privately owned but for $5.00 you can ride it (i believe there is a shuttle service that will take you back to the other end in the summer months as well).

Also, the right-of-way in Missoula is a rail-trail; the old Missoula Yard is now a very large city park, the depot has been very nicely restored, and there are several block signals remaining on the University of Montana campus east of downtown.
 #195678  by Agent at Clicquot

wigwagfan wrote:This is an old post but I'll see if anyone is out there watching...
Only me I guess!

wigwagfan wrote:The roadbed that goes over Lookout Pass on the Idaho-Montana State Line is a snowmobile/mountain bike trail;
This one has a few tunnels? I think I've seen pics of that one.

wigwagfan wrote:Also, the right-of-way in Missoula is a rail-trail; the old Missoula Yard is now a very large city park, the depot has been very nicely restored, and there are several block signals remaining on the University of Montana campus east of downtown.
What shape are the signals in? Rusty shells?

Thanks,

* JB *