Railroad Forums 

• Most Scenic Abandoned Rail lines

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#1143843  by cloudship

What are some of the most scenic abandoned rail lines that are still somewhat intact? The whole line does not have to be scenic, but needs to include at least some scenic sections. I am looking for anything from a few miles to trans state corridors. They don't have to be useable, but must have some track remaining.

P.S. I was not sure what forum to put this under, please move if you think it belongs somewhere else.
 #1170955  by ColoradoRailBuff

I agree with the ex-DRGW line over Tennessee Pass, BUT, it would be best to include the line from Minturn (near Vail) all the way to Canon City as it goes along one of the prettiest valleys in the Rockies. It follows the every growing Arkansas River from just outside Leadville to Buena Vista, Salida and on to Canon City and includes the Royal Gorge as well. Actually the line continues to pretty much follow the Arkansas river the rest of the way across Colorado's eastern plains and on into Kansas.
 #1171021  by Adirondacker

RussNelson wrote:The Adirondack Branch, of course.
I'm not sure if it was ever formally abandoned. And nowadays it's the busier railroad in Saratoga Springs - more passengers than Amtrak.
 #1171252  by mtuandrew

cloudship wrote:P.S. I was not sure what forum to put this under, please move if you think it belongs somewhere else.
I'm not sure either - we'll let it stand here for now, but I'll ask Jeff Smith to review and possibly move the thread.

Otherwise, I think you have covered the lines I was going to say. I have a feeling the BCR's Alaska extension would also fit the description, though there isn't much left but a graded right-of-way.
 #1355216  by NealG

The old B&M Ammonoosuc Valley line from the NH/VT state line in Woodsville to Littleton, NH. It runs along the Ammonoosuc River, through Woodsville, Bath, Lisbon and into Littleton. It is quite scenic.
 #1379131  by rhallock

I would recommend the former Murphy (NC) branch of the Southern Ry beyond where the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad operations now end at Nantahala Gorge. The tracks still extend about 28 miles more through Andrews to Murphy including a grade reported to be 6%.
 #1379160  by litz

rhallock wrote:I would recommend the former Murphy (NC) branch of the Southern Ry beyond where the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad operations now end at Nantahala Gorge. The tracks still extend about 28 miles more through Andrews to Murphy including a grade reported to be 6%.
Can you just imagine if the section from there, to the state line, across to Mineral Bluff were still intact?

You could run from Blue Ridge all the way up to the GSMR territory.

BTW, this is ex-L&N RR .. which became CSX. this was never Southern or NS territory.

on the GA/TN side, this is still operated by the GNRR/BLRX operations, and TVRM (Hiwassee River Rail)
 #1440192  by TheOneKEA

The Western Maryland Railway's West Sub in Allegany County, MD, is quite scenic in areas, and the portion that is currently in use as a rail trail has several areas where the mountainside cuts and earthworks are visible and quite interesting to examine. When the rail trail is extended west to Indigo Tunnel there will be several segments where the Potomac River and the CSX Cumberland Sub are both visible from the trail, as are the mountains in West Virginia.