Railroad Forums 

• 2017 Veterans Day

• Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.
Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1450953  by Charliemta

Bit late on this because I just noticed the thread.

I was in the US Navy late 60's/early 70's. Was at Pearl Harbor on a tugboat, and then on the USS Constellation. A lot of good times with a bunch of great guys.
 #1451023  by Lincoln78

Thanks to all for serving. The continued shrinking percentage of people who have served (and the fact that many families haven't had anybody serve since WWII or the end of conscription) is troubling to me.

USN 1982-93/USNR 1993-2007 Son of two WWII veterans and father of two Coast Guard officers. Daughters and I have all engaged in risky behavior but nobody has ever shot at us. I am very happy that younger one is no longer patrolling the Arabian Gulf.
 #1451036  by Gilbert B Norman

irtredbirdr33 wrote:Thank you Jeff and thanks to all my fellow vets.

Larry, RedbirdR33

Sgt, United States Air Force 1968-1972
Sgt. Redbird, any chance we X'd in Nam?

Me: Jul 67-68 7th AF TSN awarded VSM. VCM, AFOU, AFCM (Lotta ribbons for simply "doing a tour").

Mr. Lincoln, my Father "ducked" WWII; something about a "defense related job". Needless to say, that I chose to "drop college (I am a graduate) and go in" was the subject of "gnashing of teeth".
 #1451324  by irtredbirdr33

Gil: I never served "in country". I spent most of my stint in England and Spain.

My father served in WW2 (PTO) and was awarded the Bronze Star.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1451561  by Aa3rt

I realize that I'm about two weeks late but somehow have missed this until now.

US Coast Guard 1974 - 1978

US Coast Guard Reserve 1986-1994

My late father, a Brooklyn, NY native, served in a US Navy amphibious battalion in WWII seeing some heavy combat in the South Pacific. After the war he went visiting former shipmates. He reached Jamestown, NY where he met the older sister of a shipmate and was smitten. (My mother always said that with his thick Brooklyn accent she could only understand about every third word that he said.) Regardless, a romance developed with my future parents visiting each other on holidays using the Erie Railroad as their chosen mode of travel in those pre-Interstate days. They eventually married with my father relocating to Jamestown. I always tell people that I had railroads in my blood long before I was born owing to all the trips my parents took on the Erie.
 #1452426  by Cannon Ball

Late to the party, but here goes:

USA Ordnance Corps 1968-1972; then USAR 1972-1976.

Last duty station was Fort Dix. I was the post Ammunition Officer. Middays with ammo handed out and nothing else to do until the unused rounds came back, would go down to the railyard and watch GE 44-tonner PRR #9999 go about its work for the PRR-owned shortline which I think was called the Union Transportation Company, but somebody correct me if the name's not right! Seemed like such a big number for such a little locomotive!

Thanx to all my fellow vets for your work and sacrifices.

CannonBall
 #1452650  by Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Cannon Ball wrote:Late to the party, but here goes:

USA Ordnance Corps 1968-1972; then USAR 1972-1976.

Last duty station was Fort Dix. I was the post Ammunition Officer. Middays with ammo handed out and nothing else to do until the unused rounds came back, would go down to the railyard and watch GE 44-tonner PRR #9999 go about its work for the PRR-owned shortline which I think was called the Union Transportation Company, but somebody correct me if the name's not right! Seemed like such a big number for such a little locomotive!

Thanx to all my fellow vets for your work and sacrifices.

CannonBall
You are correct!