Railroad Forums 

• Site Issues and Improvements

• Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.
Important information from RAILROAD.NET site administrators. Need help using this site? Check here first! Your question may already have been answered here.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1322397  by Greg Moore

So I'll have a gripe about a feature I'd like fixed.

The "search this topic" box doesn't.

Or rather it will return results for ALL topics, not just "this one".

Is this something that could be looked at with the improvements you've done?
 #1322418  by MEC407

Yes, that's been a problem ever since the site changed hands a few years ago. :-\
 #1324762  by Tommy Meehan

By my reckoning the forums were down since Saturday night April 4th until this afternoon. I'm accessing this global thread from the Metro-North forum. I notice that, with the exception of a post by Ridgefielder, the most recent post listed is from March 30th. That's over a week ago. Were posts lost during the latest event?
 #1324763  by charlie6017

The hell.........seriously? This thing was down at least three days.

Wow, this site has gone to hell in a handbasket since Otto, Mike and Jessy owned this. It's a SHAME.

Charlie
 #1324772  by jwhite07

Wow, this site has gone to hell in a handbasket since Otto, Mike and Jessy owned this. It's a SHAME.
At least you didn't have to pay to post that. Technical issues aside, I for one am grateful that the new ownership continues to provide these forums for free.
 #1324778  by charlie6017

jwhite07 wrote:
At least you didn't have to pay to post that. Technical issues aside, I for one am grateful that the new ownership continues to provide these forums for free.
Yeah.....and it was free before, too. Doesn't do much good if the site is down, does it? We're each allowed to
think what we wish. I'm not commenting further on this, anyway.

Charlie
 #1324784  by justalurker66

Tommy Meehan wrote:By my reckoning the forums were down since Saturday night April 4th until this afternoon.

Were posts lost during the latest event?
I see posts that were made Saturday evening ... nothing of mine was lost.
 #1324830  by BigUglyCat

justalurker66 wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:By my reckoning the forums were down since Saturday night April 4th until this afternoon.

Were posts lost during the latest event?
I see posts that were made Saturday evening ... nothing of mine was lost.
I'm also seeing April 4th posts on the MBTA forum. Doesn't look like anything was lost there, either.
 #1324835  by Backshophoss

Seems that all the posts are safe till the "CRASH" happened.there must have been some external problem
that took time to repair,over the holiday weekend.
 #1324854  by KSmitty

So any explanation for the outage?

I know we have little right to complain, being a free service and all. But a simple update to the homepage "Railroad.net," that stayed up and running, would be a courtesy to those of us who made the site worth the investment of the current ownership.

It would be nice if emails to the admin would be answered with more than an auto-reply.

It would be nice if even just the impression that someone cared about the site could be given. The homepage hasn't had a news update in going on 2 years. The facebook page is equally out of date. Ironically, the last news was "Railroad.net Upgrades Its Widely Popular Forum
by EVAN-BRITTON on MAY 26, 2013" Nothing like seeing that while experiencing the longest down time I remember in my 6 years as a member here. Its not just this down time either. DNS errors have been ever more common over the last 6 months. Its getting frustrating to deal with a site that sporadically locks up while trying to post or navigate.

Too much money to upgrade servers? Start with something simple: the "ARTICLES" tab gives a classy 404 error. I may not be a computer programmer, but even I know, fixing a busted link takes maybe 2 minutes.

Anyone at the wheel anymore?
 #1324877  by BandA

Being down for two business days is pretty bad, even for a free website. When the problem is recurring... If I was the IT manager / administrator I'd expect to get yelled at.

Although the only person I expect to be "hopping to" on Easter weekend is the Easter Bunny. Perhaps they are Polish and spent Monday and Tuesday following the ancient traditions of Dyngus Day

From the PHPbb Support Website from 2009!
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p10814795
JimA Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:58 pm wrote: Re: phpbb3_session is marked crashed and should be repaired

You need to run a simple SQL query to have the table to be repaired. :)
Code: Select all
REPAIR TABLE phpbb3_sessions;
More information: Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin KB
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules
 #1324886  by ApproachMedium

I frankly enjoyed the vacation. Maybe some of us need to take a break. This isnt a lifeline, though mostly for the enjoyment and entertainment of rail enthusiasts. I know I have better things to do so I just kept checking once a day till the homepage came back up. Thanks to those who got the site going again.