Railroad Forums 

• New Hyde Park Biodiesel

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #972741  by rb

Just passed this plant on a Huntington train. There were 4 tank cars parked on a siding adjacent to the main line, with an additional 2-4 cars pushed into the facility. I've never seen more than 2 cars there before. Can they unload from both of these tracks?
 #972777  by freightguy

Yes they can bascially have the 6 cars on spot now headings towards the old Chesler lumber.
 #1019087  by Teutobergerwald

Passed by there yesterday morning. Packed with black tankcars, possibly as many as 9 ? It was hard to tell. How often are they served, and is it incoming or outgoing biodiesel ?
 #1019137  by LINYARailfan

[quote="Teutobergerwald"]Passed by there yesterday morning. Packed with black tankcars, possibly as many as 9 ? It was hard to tell. How often are they served, and is it incoming or outgoing biodiesel ?
Incoming biodiesel, Usually they are switched by the RS81 as needed; The RS80 will bring the tank cars with the cars for Marjam,Coastal Distribution and Island US Container and do Farmingdale and Wyandanch FIRST. When the RS81 leaves Coastal and they have the tankers, they will switch them on the way back to Fresh Pond usually after 2:00 sometimes even 3:00AM.
 #1019203  by Teutobergerwald

Ahh, so its usually a move conducted under cover of darkness....I'd like to catch that sometime in daylight.
 #1081014  by SlackControl

Several weeks ago, I noticed a crew cleaning up the tracks of brush, and looked like they were straightening the rail just east of the Biodiesel guy on that spur. Now, the track looks usable up to a makeshift bumper block down by those three box cars that have been there for decades. Was this extension to accommodate more Biodiesel tank cars? Are there any other plans for more work to be done there to open up more rail business?
 #1081155  by RRJS3

Teutobergerwald wrote:Ahh, so its usually a move conducted under cover of darkness....I'd like to catch that sometime in daylight.
Not an easy place to switch during daylight hours, you have to hold the main on one of the busiest locations on the railroad. And then there's the crossing at New Hyde Park Road that is inevitably fouled in the process. Irritated drivers...maybe even a couple of Long Island's brightest going around the gates for a surprise meeting with a speeding MU set. All said, best to just do it at night.
 #1081216  by jayrmli

Probably an expansion of the biodiesel customer. His business will be expanding this winter as all home heating oil in NYC I believe will require a mix of biofuels, so this business will increase as the cold weather approaches. UltraGreen also takes cars in Yaphank at BRT, and this will increase as well.
 #1081283  by workextra

We know the LIRR would rather not, But the industry track in question would benefit from a switch on the East end as well.
Making it essentially a DEF would provide more flexibility allowing NYAR to lay up cars for this consignee and or when in a Jam clear up there for passenger service.
I noticed the spur cleared to the boxcars. I don't know how far back that track goes but it goes further back then where the boxcars are rusting. The switch to the boxcars is not exposed and not there. When I seen the track cleared I thought the end was near for the rusting hulks.
 #1081311  by jayrmli

Those boxcars are privately owned, and are/were used for storage by the owner of that building. The track curved away from the Main Line right after those boxcars, past a small area people parked their cars, past a gate, and over the road to a customer formerly serviced by LIRR and NYAR - Chesler Plywood. One of the more difficult customers to service as there was always some type of roadblock to getting back there and never enough time to clear it. The other issue was the switch was protected by an electric lock, so by rule a train could clear the main there, but it was an older style of electric lock and would never clear the operator's board at Nassau, which would cause them to have to issue a train order. No one wanted to do this, so it was always known that you can't clear up there. (Freeport team track was the same way.)

Jay
 #1084240  by Teutobergerwald

Passed this morning and saw only one tankcar spotted at this customer. I've seen many more in previous times passing by. Is business down here? Thanks.
 #1487825  by LINYARailfan

Just passed New Hyde Park siding and did not see any tank cars at New Hyde Park oil terminal. Is New Hyde Park oil terminal still a NYA customer or is he no longer served by NYA?