Railroad Forums 

• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1340882  by rr503

Sir Ray wrote:
rr503 wrote:I took a montauk branch train today (via main line/central branch)Just west of the new Hyde park oil terminal there were some boxcars parked in the weeds, but the siding leading to them was rusty
Is that an active customer?
West or East
West, that'd be something new - actually, the lead on the north side of the main which starts just East of New Hyde Park Rd and heads East goes only to the oil/diesel facility - there seems to be no other extant sidings there to store boxcars on in the area west of the terminal.
To the East, there are 3 boxcars (readily visible) that have been there for at least 20+ years, I remember seeing them in 1989. IIRC the only active customer there in recent memory was Chester Plywood, doesn't look like the siding is even connected anymore.
My bad, east
Wow, that's a loooooong time
Thanks!
 #1453174  by LINYARailfan

I dug up this post and I know that its been a while but another customer to place in red on the map is Island Container in Wyandanch which is no longer receiving cars at this location due to the fact that they have shifted their facility to Deer Park.
For more info click this link below:

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=165754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps
 #1453196  by Sir Ray

LINYARailfan wrote:I dug up this post and I know that its been a while but another customer to place in red on the map is Island Container in Wyandanch which is no longer receiving cars at this location due to the fact that they have shifted their facility to Deer Park.
With Amerigas closed for years, and now Island Container, there seems to be only a handful of small businesses there (notably, Mister Softee of Suffolk). I wonder if they will try to turn those near vacant blocks into "Wyandanch Rising West" now?
Hope this helps*
Over-consolidation of local Long Island businesses (Island Container by WestRock, Amerigas by Paraco) leading to loss of competition, employment, and tax revenue? Nope, doesn't help, not one tiny bit...

*Yes, I know you really meant in regards to the information update, but company buy-outs from out-of-state companies leading this has been all too common on Long Island over the past decades.
 #1467507  by rscott417

I was trying to figure it out for myself before I asked the question but does anyone know who it is/was that got the BNSF covered hoppers for recycled glass? I went through the map and couldn't find this customer.

Edit: never mind I got it, EWG Glass in Queens
 #1505286  by DogBert

Tiny update here - after a few months of disuse, the transload warehouse building at wheelspur has been taken over by 'new haven distribution', which also has a siding near oak point in the bronx.

Fresh Direct vacated their property next door late last year. They were never a rail customer but maybe someone new will take that space and have the siding re-installed.
 #1528572  by freightguy

Fresh Direct in LI City, Queens has been boarded off on the front side and sidewalk closed off. I wonder if this building on Borden Ave is sold or is going to be knocked down or remodeled. The last time it saw freight service was as Case Paper around 2000. I think the siding switch could be easily reinstalled.
 #1528611  by DogBert

It's likely being demolished. Fresh direct moved to the Bronx last year. I suspect this building is going to be replaced with some sort of office building. The deep pocket developers have plans to reshape that whole section of LIC, and maybe deck over the LIRR yard so the property along the creek is more accessible.
 #1530116  by DogBert

The 'DM Rail' load sidings at Grand Ave are pretty packed with cars these days. Spotted a half dozen lumber flats in there, along with boxcars extending all the way around the curve (looked like a good 7 or 8 of them), along with a half dozen tanker cars.

I'm not sure what's up with the tankers: are they stored there or being unloaded directly to trucks? They were tucked in behind tall stacks of lumber.
 #1531069  by DogBert

One could definitely say that. Lots of transloading. They did install a new short track for more lumber unloading. 65th street is another spot really buzzing with lumber and construction material unloading.

For all the sidings lost around NYC, the ones that remain sometimes seem overflowing with cars. That Grand ave spot probably hasn't seen this many cars since the trash transload that operated there for a few short years in the 00's.