Railroad Forums 

• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1259811  by Sir Ray

rscott417 wrote:
Sir Ray wrote: That doesn't really square with what Manhattan Beer stated last year when they announced the move
I'm telling you that siding is gone, I drive passed it on the Bruckner on my way to work and have been watching it ever since I noticed it and posted about it in September. If I can get a picture I will.
But that's not what I posted - that particular location that you are talking about may well be closing, but Manhattan Beer is supposed to be building a much larger facility with seemingly more siding space, and get some decent tax breaks for doing so, as the articles I posted above state. That doesn't involve the sidings you saw as removed.
 #1259881  by NYCS

I did some further research into this. Manhattan Beer purchased FOUR parcels along E. 149th Street in the Bronx. Here is a list from the city property assessor's website showing their current lot ownership in the Bronx:

http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/DS/DocumentSe ... 1700533005

From this information above, we learn that Manhattan Beer Distributors owns the following lots: 280, 500, 195, and 270.

Based on this information, their footprint is thus:

Notice there is a 2-track siding between lot 500 and lot 270, which appears to be able to accommodate 26 cars and can potentially be reconfigured to fit more: http://goo.gl/maps/0soZH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And there you have it folks!
 #1259884  by NYCS

Here is a satellite overlay from the property records. Not only does the building on Lot 500 have a 2-track siding, but the building on lot 280 has a THREE-TRACK siding!!!

This is the "new" Manhattan Beer Distributors: They took over the old Jetro warehouse, and what looks to be part of New Haven Distributors. They have two buildings with rail access (one with a 2-track siding, the other with a 3-track siding).

CHECK IT OUT:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 7rKmvHsmEM
 #1259886  by NYCS

And as for MBD's old location (the building where the three-track siding was ripped up), here is the current transaction history. On 6/18/2013, ownership was transferrred to FAIRWAY BAKERY LLC. See here: http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/DS/DocumentSe ... 0700443002

Corporate Website: http://www.fairwaymarket.com/departments/bakery/
 #1260879  by Amtrak7

RS40/41 don't go beyond the Central Branch now.

Also, I don't think RS30/31 exist anymore, with so little traffic north of Hicksville, with others doglegging to pick it up. Anyone confirm?
 #1290849  by rscott417

I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this but there's a list of customers and commodities right from the NYA website (click on customers). It looks like anything that has the location "Nichols Siding, NY" is the siding along Grand Ave in Maspeth curving around towards Rust St. Also it looks like your "unconfirmed transload" on the Bushwick Branch is D&M Lumber Supply and your "unknown" rebar customer in Bushwick Terminal is Brooklyn Rebar. http://www.anacostia.com/railroads/nya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1290855  by DogBert

BK rebar has been a fairly regular customer lately.

The lumber customer is waaaay in the back by the curve, while the boxcar to truck transload resumed after a short dry spell.
 #1340691  by rr503

I took a montauk branch train today (via main line/central branch)
There were a couple things I didn't recognise:
Just west of the new Hyde park oil terminal there were some boxcars parked in the weeds, but the siding leading to them was rusty
Is that an active customer?
Also, when I passed the Hicksville transload yard there were ~10 bnsf/bn hopper cars.
Who are they for? Never seen them there before...
The team track in Babylon was packed with stone/debris hoppers.
As a side note, there was a red tank car parked in speonk yard. LIRR MOW?
 #1340699  by freightguy

The cars in Hicksville team yard are bentonite for landfill capping.

Quite a few gems as many are still painted in ATSF and BN and they don't venture out of the West to get tagged by vandals. Some of my favorites when they make perennial/biannual appearance on Long Island.
 #1340701  by rr503

Backshophoss wrote:That Tank Car is used as a water tanker for brush fires along the ROW.
Are these frequent?
freightguy wrote:The cars in Hicksville team yard are bentonite for landfill capping.

Quite a few gems as many are still painted in ATSF and BN and they don't venture out of the West to get tagged by vandals. Some of my favorites when they make perennial/biannual appearance on Long Island.
Wow...
There were 2 or 3 in relatively un faded BN paint...
A sight for sore eyes :-D
Who gets the tank cars?
Where does the bentonite come from? Somewhere in the Midwest I assume...?
 #1340881  by Sir Ray

rr503 wrote:I took a montauk branch train today (via main line/central branch)Just west of the new Hyde park oil terminal there were some boxcars parked in the weeds, but the siding leading to them was rusty
Is that an active customer?
West or East
West, that'd be something new - actually, the lead on the north side of the main which starts just East of New Hyde Park Rd and heads East goes only to the oil/diesel facility - there seems to be no other extant sidings there to store boxcars on in the area west of the terminal.
To the East, there are 3 boxcars (readily visible) that have been there for at least 20+ years, I remember seeing them in 1989. IIRC the only active customer there in recent memory was Chester Plywood, doesn't look like the siding is even connected anymore.