Railroad Forums 

• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1129666  by DogBert

I believe it's more asian food delivered back there. It's one or two customers on the 2 tracks in there. There's usually at least one boxcar in there.

All of the maspeth customers usually get switched during the day, though over the holidays I saw one train down there around 1AM doing work. People have to come out and move their parked cars every time they have to get down there during the day. It's just another part of that switching job - which is pretty complex with the various customers and limited track space.
 #1140923  by Sir Ray

rscott417 wrote:
mikey cruz wrote:It's one of those converted trucks.
????
Did he mean a rubber-tired gas-powered tourist trolley (built on a truck chassis of sorts)?

Sadly, the Google Street view is of no use, as the vehicle in question seems to be missing from that location (or maybe not - there is something that looks like a black head-ache rack on a short flatbed truck, but probably isn't). Setting my little Google man on the street on the other side of the lot didn't help - bushes were too high to see anything.
 #1141026  by Sir Ray

mikey cruz wrote:Sir Ray is correct LOL I shoulda explained more.
Took another look (why not?), only in the 45° view is the "trolley" visible. The regular straight down satellite view is definitely a flatbed truck, with a white cab and dark bed (which may or may not have some junk loaded, hard to tell); this matches the Street View nicely.
The "trolley" does line up nicely with the North spur track, I must admit
 #1149276  by DogBert

Sooooo that lot on Grand Ave has a huge mound of dirt in it now. There was a front end loader that looked like it was spreading it on the ground, and an 18 wheeler dump truck near the driveway. Couldn't quite tell if the track against the white building (east side of the lot) is still in place, but it had no boxcars on it. Looks like they're about to build something. Is this going to be a different customer?

The siding on the south side of the lot with the loading dock is definitely still in use. Had a few boxcars in it being switched out.
 #1166649  by DogBert

The boxcars are back being unloaded on the eastern track, while the track over on the west side (not the one against the building with the loading dock) is now full up with 8-10 GATX rock cars. I didn't see anyone unloading the rock cars, so I'm not sure if this is a new customer, an expansion of superior aggregates (over on rust st.), or just cars being stored for superior. I've never seen stone cars back there though, and that track hasn't seen cars parked on it in a long time.
 #1166697  by freightguy

It looks like they graded all the land with millings were SAB trucking used to load the C&D. I was thinking the same thing about a costumer going back there. I wonder in the interim if some of the LIC costumers are going to shift over there. Yang Shing Trading is still on west track former A&P warehouse. When the rock was loaded from Grow tunnel project that far east track was known as Jeanine from the LIRR days. They would store ore jennies over there. Around 1999 a newer conductor didn't know how much space he had on the rear of "jeanine" and shoved the jennies onto Grand Avenue. That was easy money for the NYAR state/city work and they got like 500.00 a jenny to haul out to Prima in Holtsville, NY. Probably the most dangerous freight cars I ever worked with most had early 50's build dates on the side of them.
 #1168587  by nyandw

tj48 wrote:Velvetop Products - Islip (cars unloaded where?)..... I believe they are unloaded on the team track next to the Islip train station on the same siding that 84 Lumber gets its cars
Yes. http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/islip/islipfreight.htm with 84 lumber no longer viable
ATW #8155 & KWT #42021 view SW off loading for Velvetop on pallets 08/09/2008 Photo: Mike McDermet

ATW #8155 & KWT #42021 Velvetop freight loaded onto flatbed for delivery 08/09/2008 Photo: Mike McDermet
 #1183398  by DogBert

The lot at Grand Ave has a new fence around back (closer to rust street). The ground has been paved all the way back around that corner and there is a new sign on the fence - something about a rail terminal? I suspect the transload business here is going to be growing quite a bit.

I also hadn't noticed this before - but the huge building near the 'mouth' of this lot - where the track comes in from near rust street - has an interior siding that is in use. Boxcars get pushed into the building off a track that curves around into it from next to the lumber spot. This siding crosses a separate abandoned siding at a diamond.
 #1183466  by freightguy

Tough industry Star coragated Paper now Norma PAC. They can take 4 cars inside the building. They have a track that crosses the building spur at a diamond where they would take one car on the exterior siding. Long time costumer of paper rolls for both the LIRR& NYA.