Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1170875  by tj48

Passed by today.... Switch is in (apx 40 feet from New Highway crossing) and ballasted. Although as with the other portions of track that have been ballasted it will need tamping. Couldn't get a good look but it looks as if a ballast regulator is on site as well.
 #1171727  by AlKaLI

Here's a picture from Sunday, 4-7. The switch was installed on Saturday. I passed by there (without my camera) and there were 2 LIRR vans and workers' cars parked along the ROW installing the switch.

By late Sunday, Coastal still had not been switched even though there were about 15 loads, CDEX, FWTX, MRRX cars and a new group ENVX.
Attachments:
Coastall, Apr 7 2013 072.JPG
Coastall, Apr 7 2013 072.JPG (184.63 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
 #1171757  by Teutobergerwald

I hope that "mess" in the foreground of the above picture will be squared away before the track sees real movements.....
 #1171760  by Teutobergerwald

Question: with regard to the warehouse building in the photo that I recall seeing CN, CP Rail, DW&P and CV cars spotted at back in the mid- to late-'80's and early '90's until, say, mid- '93.....if some company moved in there and wanted rail freight service, is it still possible? I believe the spur that served the building was pulled up. Is there enough room for a new spur should it become necessary??? Thanks.
 #1171840  by freightguy

In the early 2000s AJM paper took cars at one of the bays. This costumer was located on the back track at Pineaire. I believe the building is divided up now. When spotting the boxcars another part of the building was an automotive shop. I never remember boxes, but always plastic covered hoppers laid up in there. Not sure who owns the building now Shea Trucking?
 #1171848  by jayrmli

At the time AJM cars were taken there (approximately 2002 or so), the building was operated by Conservative Express. Some of the unloading bays were already not in use. Last I knew, all of the building was converted to office space.
 #1171873  by Sir Ray

Teutobergerwald wrote:Question: with regard to the warehouse building in the photo that I recall seeing CN, CP Rail, DW&P and CV cars spotted at back in the mid- to late-'80's and early '90's until, say, mid- '93.....if some company moved in there and wanted rail freight service, is it still possible? I believe the spur that served the building was pulled up. Is there enough room for a new spur should it become necessary??? Thanks.
Take a look at the image 'AlKaLI' posted on the previous page (6), it is more of a straight shot along the side of the building. Clearances look tight enough that I'd say there is not enough room for a new spur alongside the building (even if it's not all internal office space).
 #1172025  by AlKaLI

Glad my picture posted so many responses.

Sir Ray, I would have to agree with you. When the excavation began and the existing warehouse siding was removed, the new trench looked wide enough for two tracks. I was a little surprised that only one was installed pretty much in the center. Teutobergerwald, the new track looks to be too far from the warehouse doors and there is not enough room for another.

I hope to visit the area in the next day or so and check on the progress. I would like to see the new crossover in service when the RS-80 switches out Coastal. They could use the new tracks to spot empties until they pull out Coastal's loads. It will be interesting to see when the asphalt plant starts getting its aggregate loads and if the NY&A will use the "lead" formed by the new track along the warehouse to switch the asphalt plant. Steve Lynch's site has some great pictures of the trackwork further west. There look to be at least two more switches past the new RH crossover. Two tracks seem to be for aggregate unloading and the third is a stub(?) alongside the new tracks and the existing PW siding.
 #1172533  by hrfcarl

Passed the area on the LIRR, it looks like a bumper was installed on the west side of New Highway on the connection that would lead into Coastal, did I see this correct?
 #1172865  by hrfcarl

hrfcarl wrote:Passed the area on the LIRR, it looks like a bumper was installed on the west side of New Highway on the connection that would lead into Coastal, did I see this correct?

Cannot edit: meant to add: "on the wye connection that would lead into Coastal"
 #1172974  by AlKaLI

hrfcarl is right. I passed by the area yesterday and a bumper now sits on the west leg of the wye just at New Highway. Perhaps jayrmli or freightguy can comment?
Why go through the expense of removing the existing switch to the wye, rip up the trackage, only to excavate for new tracks and lay new track to curve into the wye and join it only to put a bumper on it? Doesn't seem to make sense.
 #1173036  by Sir Ray

AlKaLI wrote:hrfcarl is right. I passed by the area yesterday and a bumper now sits on the west leg of the wye just at New Highway. Perhaps jayrmli or freightguy can comment?
Why go through the expense of removing the existing switch to the wye, rip up the trackage, only to excavate for new tracks and lay new track to curve into the wye and join it only to put a bumper on it?
News from the Front:
The bumper installation does look rather permanent, from where it is there's maybe 3 60ft car clearance on that new 'tail track' till you foul the switch into the stone company's new siding. Didn't seem like any work has been done on the portion of the wye leg that crossed New Highway, so that's consistent at least.

While I was in Farmingdale for other reasons, I also stopped by Lowes on Price Parkway, and figured it was as good a time as any to record the remants of the platform and siding that Strober Price used to use (Strober Price AFAIK was the last revenue customer to use the Price Parkway trackage - they moved South down Rte110, and now Signature Leature occupys the site - the loading dock still remains, albeit fenced in and repurposed). Surprising the amount of trackage left in the grassy verge:
 #1173087  by nyandw

Farmingdale Price Parkway Rail Complex at: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/farmin ... ngdale.htm

Al Castelli Album: Farmingdale Price Parkway Railroad Remnants: {url]http://picasaweb.google.com/11489864348 ... directlink[/url] Runs as a slide show, NICE. with Captions :-) For example:

This is the switch leading to the two tracks serving the industrial park. The passing siding and mainline tracks are in the background. June 2010

A nice write-up also by Al: "The Price Industrial Park is centered around Price Parkway in Farmingdale , N.Y. It is north of the LIRR mainline and west of Route 110. Freight service was provided to the area but the tracks in the industrial park have been long out of service. The rail service extended just to the north of the industrial park and includes Avon Court .

Over the years this area has..."
 #1173149  by Teutobergerwald

Is the switch in from the Main Line to Price Parkway still operable, and could NYA use any still intact trackage for car storage or as team trackage if accessible by truck ???
 #1173255  by tj48

Like Sir Ray said its use as a 'tail track' would be very limited unless they plan to switch 1 or 2 cars at a time with possibly a trackmobile.