Railroad Forums 

• Pinelawn Trash Transfer

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1251770  by tj48

Passed by Coastal yesterday. No sign of the Trackmobile. It was not in its usual spot by the fence alongside New Highway. Maybe it was a demonstrator?
 #1259070  by AlKaLI

Made a short excursion by Coastal this morning hoping to catch the NY&A. No such luck. Coastal was loading cars. Already about 7 loaded with a few already on the storage track. They only had maybe 2 empties left in the yard. About 3 trucks were lined up or backing in ready to add more C&D to their growing pile.

The Trackmobile was nowhere to be seen. May have been just a demonstrator as tj48 said. Coastal looks to using their loaders to move cars again.
Posillico's trackmobile wasn't around either. But haven't seen hoppers on their siding yet during this winter. Hopefully with warmer weather, the cars will return.
 #1261905  by tj48

Passed by Poscillico's siding this morning. The Trackmobile is back in its fenced storage area. There was also a NY&A Hi rail MOW truck coming off the Poscillico siding. They must be getting ready to receive stone cars again soon.
 #1262111  by AlKaLI

^ Passed by Coastal at around 9 AM. No hoppers for Posillico yet. Trackmobile ready to go.

Coastal was loading cars this morning. 11 empty C & D gons were spotted on the siding in front of Posillico. C & D business must be good.
 #1262171  by AlKaLI

Those 11 empties were spotted inside Coastal this morning by EB NYA train. See spotting thread. EB picked up 10 loaded C & D cars and went east.
 #1274836  by tj48

Passed Coastal late this afternoon. From what I could see there seems to be a construction crew working on the tracks within the Coastal complex. Due to traffic conditions and the fence I could not get a real good look but it appears that the crew was working on the existing tracks. There was a front end loader moving ties around. Near the truck exit I saw what looked like a section of panel track. There were no empty gondolas in the yard.
 #1276570  by AlKaLI

Passed by Coastal this morning. Like tj48's report, there were no empties at all in the yard. Coastal was receiving trucks and the shed is piled high and deep with C & D debris. Saw the piece of panel track as well. There was also a pile of rail at the North end. I couldn't tell exactly but it looked as the ground next to the easternmost siding had been trenched. Is this just track repair or by any chance is Coastal adding another track? Don't know just guessing here but something is going on.

Posillico was packed with stone cars, mainly the 3-bay GATX version. Looked like their usual 14 cars or so.
 #1276860  by AlKaLI

Drove by Coastal again on Sunday morning. At the north end, I definitely counted three sets of track. On closer inspection, that panel track near the truck scales probably is a turn-out because I saw a yellow manual switch stand at one end. So it looks like Coastal is expanding from two tracks to three.

Yard was still empty of cars though. I imagine they want to get the trackwork done and work down the pile of C&D debris. At least some industries on LI are expanding.
 #1277092  by vin5581

I have seen alot of NY&A Coastal activity switching out and dropping off empties enroute their way east on the main line between 10am -12pm weekdays .
 #1279461  by AlKaLI

Passed by Coastal both Sunday morning and late afternoon. In the morning, caught the NY&A picking up loads. The new third track is in operation because when I came back later, they spotted empty cars on it. Plus with the north gate open, 3 bumpers were clearly visible.

Misc: Coastal is sending loaded cars out with orange safety netting on the top.
Posillico had what looked like their usual 14 cars. The usual 3-bay GATX hoppers with a few more Tilcon cars. The Trackmobile was in its spot. Not all of the cars were unloaded yet.
 #1279525  by LINYARailfan

So is Coastal now being served in the daytime by the RS40? Or is it being served by both the RS40 during the day and the RS80 at night?? Im used to seeing Coastal being served by the RS80 at night. Is this not the case cause they get served during the day? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
 #1279660  by AlKaLI

Teutobergerwald wrote:The west leg of the wye still operational there?

The wye is still in place but from previous posts remember that Posillico has installed a bumper on the west leg right at New Highway and fenced the area. The west leg is not used.
LINYARailfan wrote:So is Coastal now being served in the daytime by the RS40? Or is it being served by both the RS40 during the day and the RS80 at night?? Im used to seeing Coastal being served by the RS80 at night. Is this not the case cause they get served during the day? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
LINYARailfan: I only get a chance to see Coastal during the weekends and rarely a weekday evening. During Sat and Sun, the NYA services them around 9-9:30 AM usually to pick-up loads. Then either in the afternoon or evening, they make sure Coastal has empties for the next morning. In the recent past, I have seen the RS80 pick up loads on weekdays around 9-9:30 PM and spotting empties. vin5581 reported that he has seen them during the day. Looks like the NY&A services them when they can squeeze in between the LIRR.

Regards.
 #1287372  by mwichten

Word on the street is there was a fire at Coastal early this morning around 2. Anyone in the are to go and check it out? Supposedly it affected the building (at least part of it).
 #1288136  by mwichten

Everything looked operational at Coastal this morning. The information that I received may have been false or misleading.