Railroad Forums 

• Blissville Yard

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1043383  by Ðauntless

NYA is in a good position to pick up alot of stone traffic due to some recent things that just happened at Tilcons marine Dept.
 #1043709  by DogBert

I don't see that refinery @ blissville ever using freight. The scrap dealer, maybe. More MSW's suppose to come through there though... At least allied extruders is still going strong after all these years.

I dunno, csx in & out seems like a 33/33/33 split btw MSW, C&D, and General Merch. Funny, the problem used to be reverse: no outbound loads. It's usually in the 50-70 car range (up from the 90s - seemed like 30-50 was the norm), and there's more stone coming in than before.
 #1043723  by Ðauntless

You aint gonna see the scrapper use rail service when he has his own dock out back. Cuts out the middle man.
 #1043923  by freightguy

You aint gonna see the scrapper use rail service when he has his own dock out back. Cuts out the middle man.

Hugo is the same company that is next to NYNJ(Greenville) yard in Bayonne. Anything is loaded onto the barge then shipped via CR Shared Assests to the mini mills in the Midwest. This used to be a substancial business for NYAR from Gershow in Medford/Brooklyn. He even set some of the rates on the East Coast for steel pricing. However a lot now goes to Japan/China in containers no longer to the mills in the Midwest. Hugo in Greenpoint has always been on the radar. The gons in Blissville are probably the CEFX gershow pool lease gons. This at one point was probably NYAR's larget costumer doing around 14 cars a day and also fluff shipped in CSXT coal gon hoppers. Occaisonally Gerhsow will ship out an order from the Medford faciltiy but no more daily large shipments currently.
 #1043955  by Ðauntless

fg, my point exactly. He does around 2-3 barges a day at 1800T a piece, and gets loaded on a ship right there. You do the math. It gets to Sims (hugo) in an hour as apposed to the up and down from Bliss. Gershow on the bush I understand the reason for rail.
 #1044605  by DogBert

Well that settles that. :) MSW's the only likely customer there anytime soon. Until then it looks like car storage. Better than nothing, and nice to see freight on the extreme west end of the lower montauk again.

Who knows, maybe when fresh direct moves out some other food distro will move in there and use that siding.
 #1057642  by DogBert

Blissville is now empty once again. Will be interesting to see if those cefx cars return...
 #1057876  by freightguy

This is probably because Gershow was shipping again recently. The CEFX cars numbering and stenciling is barely legible. Funny looking at freights now compared to even the mid to late 90's. Graffetti* is gone from the subways but all over the freight car fleet.
 #1070607  by Teutobergerwald

Looks like you can see gondolas in Blissville Yard from the eastbound side of the L.I.E. shortly after the tollbooths.
 #1197112  by Teutobergerwald

Looks from the eastbound side of the L.I.E. that the yard is filled with hopper cars labelled "Herzog."
 #1197130  by DogBert

Yes, there's around 20 of them in there so far as I know, most likely being stored there for LIRR trackwork. There's a few CDEX cars stored there too. They've been there since spring.
 #1202977  by DogBert

The CDEX cars left sometime in the last 2 weeks, probably pressed into service during the csx/mn derailment disruption. The Herzog cars have been shuffled around quite a bit - not sure where they're being unloaded, though I suspect they'll be emptied and gone by summer's end.
 #1203066  by AlKaLI

Dogbert:
During my commute on last Friday, saw Amtrak 570 & 579 with a dozen Herzog cars parked on the new WB track being constructed in Queens near Harold.
Appeared to be dumping ballast on the new track. Not sure if these are the same cars from Blissville but think it would be a good guess. Regards, AlKaLI
 #1203230  by DogBert

Most interesting. I didn't notice any herzog cars in sunnyside (though I haven't been looking). If they are one & the same cars it'd be interesting to see amtrak at blissvile...

Where is the new track going in? Is this the work they're doing by thompson ave, north/west of the mainline?