Railroad Forums 

• Have not seen NYA out east in Bridgehampton

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1190469  by train2

I don't read this board often, but today I was looking for some info and I ran across this post to which I can add some information:

As an FYI: if a customer uses private rail cars, those ending in X on the reporting marks there is not a penalty for cars sitting. (RR owned cars yes) Then movement of the car is directed by the owner or the shipper and sometimes it is simply a agreement between the car owner and the customer. Some customers use the cars as storage in place an unload when needed. This happens a lot.

Now as to IF the customer wants more service and NYA is not giving that is another story. However I suspect, the RR told the customer it will cost less if we wait to we make it worth our while to bring a number of cars and run out given the distance. Now the downside is the customer gets use to not having the RR be an important part of the business plan.

T2
 #1198952  by Sir Ray

train2 wrote:Now the downside is the customer gets use to not having the RR be an important part of the business plan.
Well, if the customer is now figuring in the use of the rolling stock as transport and storage (so they don't need to add their own storage improvements such as silos and tanks, which raise the value of their business property), then they ARE having the RR be an important part of their business plan.

I wonder, when a customer buys and converts rolling stock into fixed storage (like those 7 or so covered hoppers at that plastics firm in East Newark, NJ - or closer to home, that covered hopper used for storage at Quality Lineals in Freeport till they moved it last year) - does that then count as property improvements in their real estate tax assessment?
 #1210760  by saucejstuder

train2 wrote:I don't read this board often, but today I was looking for some info and I ran across this post to which I can add some information:

As an FYI: if a customer uses private rail cars, those ending in X on the reporting marks there is not a penalty for cars sitting. (RR owned cars yes) Then movement of the car is directed by the owner or the shipper and sometimes it is simply a agreement between the car owner and the customer. Some customers use the cars as storage in place an unload when needed. This happens a lot.

T2
The exceptions being ABOX, FBOX, RBOX, TBOX and any **ZX traffic (and the ZX stuff is pricey). I'm sure there are a couple more, but those are the most common :)
 #1246673  by dedm30junk

Just heard some bad news today.NYA went out to Pulver Gas in Bridgehampton today with Eng 270 long hood and 1 box car to pick up 5 tank cars that's been sitting there since Oct 9th for the final time Pulver Gas is no longer a NYA customer as of today.They went from getting 5 tanks a week to 5 tanks a month because as I was told it was not a money maker for them to go that far east for the only customer east of Babylon. Sad day for the Montauk branch east of Babylon to see freight action. Someone needs to call Senator Chuck to take action.
 #1246688  by Ðauntless

Theres a great story in wreck of the Penn Central about the classic examples of customers who get cars on long branch lines where the crew costs more to go get it, then the car brings in to the railroad. Sometimes it is just not economical to ship by rail..
 #1246718  by Teutobergerwald

It doesn't help that, for one reason or another, NYA lost its other customers east of Babylon, and didn't seem to attract new ones that could be served at the team tracks the LIRR has along the line.