Railroad Forums 

• Bay Ridge Branch & New York City Transit Project

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#6619  by BMT

Well, not to give too much away, but the Vandal Squad had a 'baited trap' set for graffiti-nuts last year in the SBK interchange yard, and the jerks fell for it! I don't know if the 'bait' is still being used...I haven't been over there in awhile.

BTW, one of the VS crew told me that unlike the '70s where there were home-grown graffiti-vandals, this new crop hails from France, Germany and parts of Europe. Alot of these loseres actually fly over to the US just to tag up some railcars!! Patetic!

To Knife-Switch: great image of the Mitzvah Tank! Ya better watch out -- cuz they could always turn it into a high-rail! :wink:

#6630  by DogBert

Heh. that SBK yard has been used as a honey pot since at least the mid 90's. And they keep coming! Some knew it was a trap and still went, since to some of them, being arrested more makes them somehow cooler or more hardcore. Whatever!

Not to be too crass, but some of them europeans ain't that bright...

#9183  by Knife-Switch

Don't suppose that was BMT man at the controls of the N train that gave the RS-100 a couple of toots tonight?

Once again my attempts to get the furry hatted gawkers to wave met no success. I have much better luck with the kids in public housing...except as they get older its usually only one finger that they wave.

Here's a feel good story for ya....

Through the efforts of former and current RS100 crews, a blind homeless man who spent all winter living in a lean-to in the ROW was brought to the attention of the MTA/Connections program who successfully convinced the person to seek admission and medical assistance at a local hospital. At the time he agreed he was in such bad shape he was transported by EMS. Hats off to the good-hearted trainmen involved!!!!

#9359  by BMT

LOL! Ya, the kids these days do the darnest things! You're lucky that some of the kids in the housing projects don't use your train as target practice for a drive-by! :wink:

BTW, I wasn't working last night, so I can't take credit for those toots ya got yesterday. Interseting as I often work the Sea Beach Line (N) -- it's a nice run w/o much hassles. I'll try and find out who tooted ya...

#9360  by BMT

Congrats to all you guys for your aide to that unfortunate roadside resident!

BTW, Knife-Switch, where was he residing -- underneath the roadway at 8th Avenue? I mention this because I have not seen that 'resident' of the Bay Ridge ROW in about a month. When I did the N train I'd get a good view of the ROW between 4th and 8th Avenues, as we head southbound.

#9750  by Knife-Switch

BMT wrote:LOL! Ya, the kids these days do the darnest things! You're lucky that some of the kids in the housing projects don't use your train as target practice for a drive-by! :wink:
Funny you should say that. It was just about a year ago when the cab of the 155 was lit up by a laser beam coming from the Projects. It was aimed at the conductor and brakeman both of whom then hugged the floor of the cab. Now we'd like to believe it was just an office pointer, but midnight/E. Flatbush/PJ's...well lets just say there is a statistical signaificance that it was the real deal.

Our "outreach project" was much further up the branch, but if you need a contact at MTA/Connections, just PM me and I'll send you a name and number.
 #16653  by Knife-Switch

Well for my last run down the Bayridge for a while I was met with lots of waving kiddies of all denominations. My ENGR suggested a future in Public Office. Maybe word got out at Temple that the train guys/goys are alright.

Update on Blind Clem: Still hospitalized, and fighting to keep his feet. Dr. says damage from diabetes will require double amputation. Guess it beats being fertilizer on the ROW.

And my latest act of social work at 65th Street probably averted a teenage pregnancy, as I yelled so loud at a couple of trespassing love-birds my BKMN saw them sprinting out of the yard :D

Keepin It Real in the County of Kings
Knife-Switch, MA