Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #884175  by Teutobergerwald

I guess they think business will be good if they're going the full-boat and putting in gates & signals for a long spur. Any projections as to when the first revenue run will be?
 #888592  by tahawus84

Looks like the spur into eastern fence is complete. The rest of the line just stops by metro fuel in front of a fence. I wonder how this spur will be switched. will they shove the whole train up the spur or leave some out on the main? Wonder if one of there hacks will make it out there for the tail of the shove. I know it probably wont happen but I can dream
 #890852  by tahawus84

pretty much same layout so far, but it has not been competed and I am unsure how the metro fuel siding will be. The only switch that was not relaid is little siding that goes south next to the lake.
 #894004  by tahawus84

I think it is great that brookhaven and calverton are getting done. It is ashame that others who want rail service are not allowed but certain towns to have it though ie 84 lumber and winter bros in medford. The winter bros proposal was pretty large as well
 #894077  by tahawus84

Sorry my previous post was for the brookhaven thread. Winter Brothers is in medford on peconic ave. They were going to make a yard there and transfer garbage to the rail cars. The town shot it down from my understanding. They even snipped the old siding for parco gas that is a few yards down and aligned a piece of their spur with the row but that is as far as they got. They have a big pile of rail and ties still in their yard as well
 #894145  by Teutobergerwald

Ah, the Town of Brookhaven reared it's disturbing head....I guess Winter Bros. doesn't support the right people at election time.
 #894153  by freightguy

Winter Bros has a transfer station right down the road from Brookhaven Rail terminal. It's near the Cathiness Energy plant. Mayne they' ll use the new terminal when it's finished. That's 2 costumers that didn't pan out of that switch in Medford. It was built for Synergy Gas originally by LIRR in 1994. Then in the summer track program of 2006 they straight railed the switch towards Winter Bros. There was going to be alot of track with that for storage. The track layout in Gershow is quite extensive now, there is another 2 tracks off orignal siding. I guess with steel down they haven't shipped as much. Just a few years back Gershow was NYAR's biggest costumer.
 #903924  by JMBethpage

I drove by on River Rd. yesterday and the track equipment appeared to be in the same place as it was in December, at the west end of the siding, but no further north.
 #915090  by JMBethpage

The track renovation work appears to be nearing completion. The final switch has been installed on the west end where the siding splits into two northbound sidings. The equipment is visible on the eastern of the two sub-sidings. There can't be much further to go.

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b42 ... 26%202011/