Railroad Forums 

• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #616498  by freightguy

I saw on News 12 tonight an oil/biofuel company (Metro) brought 18 acres on former Grumman property. They are going to use the old Navy fuel storage tanks. I wonder if they are considering rail service in the future? Someone at work mentioned that their was interest in putting the switch back in a recent newspaper article. I believe the New York & Atlantic used to use Metro to fuel the locomotives at Fresh Pond.
 #616527  by Nova55

RFP's went out not to long ago for rails service so im told.
 #616636  by jayrmli

Hopefully the Town of Riverhead won't cock things up again at Calverton....
They will. They had an almost $1 million grant to replace the switch and repair the track, and overruled the railroad's engineering report, which said it could be done for the money alotted. The Town's Engineers (who have a world of railroading experience) said it could only be done for double the price that was allotted.

When you tell the Federal Government "no" to grant money already issued, the spigot runs dry.

Jay
 #617314  by tj48

Nova55 wrote:RFP's went out not to long ago for rails service so im told.
What's an "RFP"?
 #617334  by alchemist

Request For Proposal. Soliciting bids for the job.
 #617576  by Nova55

Im more curious as to how there gonna get around the part still owned by the USN.
 #617630  by The Tenth Legion

I thought the Navy completely vacated the property when they conveyed it to the Town of Riverhead back in the Nineties?
 #617883  by jayrmli

Part of the Calverton property was held by the government due to soil remediation issues. Ask anyone who worked at Calverton during the Grumman heyday what went on, and you'll know why.

Jay
 #731172  by JMBethpage

Look at today's (10/27) Newsday page A23. The Town of Riverhead will be getting state funds to rehabilitate the Calverton spur.
 #731370  by The Tenth Legion

Is it possible, for maximum flexibility, that the wye will be restored? Also, will any addition spurs being added off the existing trackage within the complex? Will a team yard be added in case it's not feasible to build new spurs directly to customers within the complex? Thanks.