Railroad Forums 

• WARNIING NEWSDAY LURKER

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #2158  by Knife-Switch

NO GOOD CAN COME FROM THIS

YOU KNOW YOU CAN EDIT YOUR PAST POSTS TO PROVIDE LESS INFO

joshnewsday wrote:Hello -- I am new to the forum, and interested in knowing if anyone wishes to speak about the LIRR locomotive that lost its brakes last week. I am specifically interested in hearing thoughts as to why it occurred.

If anyone has any ideas, and wishes to speak on the forum, that would be great. I can also be emailed privately at [email protected] or called at 718-575-2559.

Thanks very much.
Josh Robin[/i]

#2211  by RRChef

I have requested from the Moderator of the LIRR forum that a thread I started concerning Bushwick be locked so no info can be obtained by the reporter.

#2228  by jayrmli

I think the thread "So who's getting some time off?" might qualify getting locked too.

Jay

#2327  by DogBert

Maybe said reporter should go ask those driving the cars that were hit why they did not slow and look both ways at an active (and yes, marked with standard road signs, that I even have photos of) RR crossing. NYC is a very Darwin City, there's always a lot going on and you have to be alert, especially during times like these. (how's that for a pull-quote?)

It doesn't matter if it was mechanical or human error. If people drove more carefully and paid attention to the road signs they might have avoided being hit. As much as everyone likes to drive as offensively as possible, you are suppose to learn defensive driving before getting that little card that says that you a mature adult that knows the rules of the road and how to handle your vehicle without getting yourself or others killed.

In any case, a good rule to follow on the internet is that if you don't want certain people reading it, don't post it - because unfortunately, some people you or I might now want to share information with might read it.

#2406  by roee

RRChef wrote:I have requested from the Moderator of the LIRR forum that a thread I started concerning Bushwick be locked so no info can be obtained by the reporter.
Why lock out the threads? Did you say stuff that you didn't want the rest of us to read? Who cares that you said something and a reporter is reading the thread? I'd say your best bet is to relizes that these are public forums. I don't believe you need to be signed in to read them, so...

#2534  by Legio X

Ahh yes, a classic picture from Downtown Saigon, R.V.N., during the Tet Offensive in January, 1968. Very illustrative of the pernicious power of the press, and how they choose to report what they want to report. In this picture, the Chief of the Vietnamese National Police is executing a captured Viet Cong terrorist. That is, obviously, beyond dispute. What was not reported was that this V.C. terrorist, and several others from his cell, had been captured right after they executed the family of the Chief's deputy. They raped his daughters, too, one of whom was 9, before executing them. These facts were not reported by the American, or international, press, and thus this was seen as just an act of cruelty to a defenseless person.....Anyway, the moral here is the press cannot be trusted, and that they should be left to dig up facts on their own, without the assistance of us forum members, NYA or LIRR employees. Whatever happened with 160 happened. The mayor and his henchmen want to hang people for it, and the press wants to help them. Let's put up a "Steel Wall" of silence for the sake of these railroaders, who, I'm sure, did'nt take 160 out that day with the intention of letting it run away.

#2561  by Knife-Switch

Legio-

Very Impressive!!!

Fortes in Unitate

Knife-Switch AKA B-Whacker

#2573  by RRChef

I don't usually answer posts like the one from Roee because they are not worth my time or effort. But, I will in this case.

I am going to assume that you are not from New York but probably from the Mid west somewhere and you are thinking that I am infringing on your rights to know every little insignificant detail of this tragedy. So, to answer you in my best French(I don't speak Latin like the 2 previous posters).....TOUGH!

I requested that a thread I started be locked because of the number of posts made by guests who are not members of this board that were mostly wild speculation that taken the wrong way might cost someone a job. If the reporter in question actually was doing his job, he would have seen the preliminary report released by the NTSB on their website today. If you want anymore reasons as to why I did this, look at the previous 2 posts and that should answer your questions. If not, well.... TOUGH

#2632  by roee

RRChef wrote:I am going to assume that you are not from New York but probably from the Mid west somewhere
Well, your sort of right.... I'm some yocal from outside of NY... Texas now... Yup, got the gun rack, carry six shooters with me all the time, drive a Ford F150 jacked up real high... OK, really, yes, now I do live in Texas, Houston... 4th largest city in the country. Born in raised in NY state, when to college in NY at the best engineering school in the state (RPI) and worked and lived in NJ for a while. I've traved to many countries, and every state of the union execpt for alaska.
RRChef wrote:I requested that a thread I started be locked because of the number of posts made by guests who are not members of this board that were mostly wild speculation that taken the wrong way might cost someone a job.

Now for locking out your thread, are you talking about the one While we were away...... 'cus it's locked for sure... but that doesn't mean people can't read it. Wow, you really gave it to that reporter... they can't post in there anymore... but you didn't have it deleted...

Eric

#6294  by BEDT16RMLI

Read the NY Post and Sun the only two openminded newspapers in NY.

#6306  by BMT

NY Post and the Sun are the only open-minded papers in NY...ya gotta be kiddin' me, right?

#6336  by Knife-Switch

Well if you read this guy's article, it was one-sided, inaccurate and misinformed, or in other words typical Newsday.

However at least Newday didn't do a full page embarrasment to themselves interviewing a guy that makes Jon Lovitz pathological liar guy seem honest, as did the NY TIMES.

"I worked for Conrail...I mean CSX....I mean New York and Atlantic...Yeah thats the ticket!!!!!!"

FAIR AND BALANCED...YUMYUMYUM

#7081  by Otto Vondrak

I dont know what the heck you guys are talking about, but this is a web site for the discussion of railroad issues. Why you would want to withhold information from a reporter or any other member of the media is beyond me. If you go back and read this thread, it makes you guys sound really strange (to me anyway).

-otto-
 #7189  by Knife-Switch

Obviously you are not that familiar with the recent events on the Bushwick Branch, nor how Newsday has a long documented history of distorting facts.

If you care to research either the recent article by the Transportation Editor at Newsday or the full page piece in the NY Times, and are able to compare them to the facts, you will see that the posts herein are quite relevent and for the most part restrained.

RRChef's post and Roee's response can be cited as an example of how those not familiar with operations can be confused by points not specifically spelled out.

Dogbert offers a cynical but no where inaccurate perspective of the same.

Legio X chose to extrapolate on a previous avatar posted in a manner that should deem praise from a creative designer.

And Jay, well we all know Jay knows his s... stuff.

So quite frankly, but with some degree of respect, I find your most recent post, invasive and insulting. If you are going to create a forum for the exchange of information and ideas, you should be aware of the tangential nature of discussion and of how joining a discussion in mid-flow will always limit your ability to comprehend the root concept.

AS I HAVE ALREADY BEEN PM'D THAT MY AVATAR IS NOT APPROPRIATE, I DREAD THAT THE DRACONIAN CONTROLS OF THE FORUM MAY SILENCE MY OPINIONS AS WELL!!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD POSTS!!!!

#7230  by jayrmli

Otto:

The fact is that there has been a long history of newspaper reports which inaccurately portray what has actually happened, putting both the railroads and those employees involved in the hot seat over facts that aren't anywhere near the truth. The newspapers will quote some "legion of railroad experts" known as Knife-Switch, Legio X, jayrmli, emfinite, etc. who basically have only heard rumors of what actually happend from either websites such as this one, or from a "friend at work," etc. (Please those usernames above do not take me using your usernames above as a slap, it was just used for example only.)

The one piece like this I've seen since the incident involved the NY Times article mentioned above, where an ex-NYAR employee, who was fired years ago for not passing his rules exam (8 times!!!) now claims to be a "NYC freight expert," donning a BLE cap and NYAR jacket, uses a fake name and claims he's been in the business for years. He's a liar, and nothing more.

So, you ask, what does this really matter? Well, yellow journalism like this paints a bad light on the railroads, and when using sources such as this, also paints a bad light on the very fans of the industry that this board caters to. If enough "experts" choose to show how smart they are, the railroads might not like it the next time someone wants to come in the yard and take pictures of the trains. The employees might not like them taking pictures of them either, as we won't know what the true motives behind their actions really are.

All these reporters should go to one place if they wish to get the facts, and that's the NTSB. They are handling the investigation. Anything short of that is shirking the real truth, and I think that's bad journalism and a disservice to their readers.

REMEMBER THE MAINE!!!

Jay