Railroad Forums 

• Hicksville operations

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#95808  by WIN Tower

...you would not have been chosen had you applied . i too " tried " to get an application for a position with L.I.R.R.P.D. but was not picked to receive an application because i did not meet certain socio-economic factors... i am a male with a collge degree , i can also walk , talk and chew gum at the same time and based on your past posts so can you. now , if you had a similar background to or were given the name La-Qwanda at birth...you would already be a " branch " manager ...

#95837  by WIN Tower

so much for my degree...c-o-l-l-e-g-e !

#96722  by Legio X

Occasionally back in the '80s I saw tankcars, usually singly and sometimes in pairs spotted on the single track on the east side of the yard. Were these spotted for customers that would load or unload them in the yard, or were they left there to sit until picked up by a westbound freight going to Holban Yard or Fresh Pond?

#100659  by Legio X

Can someone at the NYA or LIRR confirm this?

#100662  by Legio X

Regarding the above post requesting "confirmation from someone at NYA or LIRR": This was in response to a post made a few moments before about ties being replaced on the long spur to FedEx and the Hicksville Post Office. Why would a post be there one moment, and then gone the next? It was'nt anything obnoxious or offensive. What happened?

#100787  by WIN Tower

...perhaps La-Qwanda was trying to erase MY post !
 #100988  by spiker 1

This track you are refering to is just used for storage of freight cars off the north siding. The track is being repaired because MOW wants to use the very end to store machinery for work on the PJ Branch and or the CWR rail train. Also the company was Ameropan that recieved tank cars of home heating oil in late eighties early ninties.

#122311  by Legio X

A lot to see today at Hicksville Yard....the nice NYA sign, covered hoppers of plastic pellets, the gondolas of radioactive soil, boxcars of building materials, and a lot of stacked bricks, all visible when passing by on W. John St. and Charlotte Ave., as I did today at 1625 hours. I hope to catch NYA switching the Hicksville Yard one of these days. When is my best bet for this?

#135837  by Legio X

When NYA has a car (or cars) to deliver to LIPA in Hicksville, how is this move made? Does the train stop at Hicksville LIRR station, run the power around the train and then push the train to the LIPA spur, or just spot the cars for LIPA on the way back westbound from servicing customers out east on the Main Line or the Central Branch?

#135967  by One of One-Sixty

Where is a good place for one to railfan the area without drawing attention or atleast get off a few good pics?

#136037  by lirrmike

That spur goes into Keyspan not LIPA. I work for Keyspan and I haven't seen a railroad car in the yard for some time. Before that waste guy at PineLawn, flatcars of poles were offloaded there and trucked to Hicksville.

Mike

#136117  by Legio X

Odd that they would go there and not Hicksville Yard. I wonder why?

#136129  by jayrmli

The pole cars went to Pinelawn because there is a restriction on 90 foot flatcars in Hicksville yard.

When spotting a car at LIPA (or Keyspan), it would depend what the car was. Usually, it was a generator which required a special move. Generally, it was sandwiched in between two locomotives, and you would just go in the clear and spot it using the switches inside the derail.

Jay

#136217  by Legio X

I guess 89' flatcars are restricted from Hicksville Yard because of the curves of the yard tracks. Now that Coastal is using the team yard in Farmingdale, where would a movement of poles go now for unloading? Direct to Keyspan in Hicksville?

#136313  by lirrmike

Jay,

Not to be picky, but if anything is delivered to the yard it would be transformers not generators. The last delivery of a generator by rail would be Island Park's Unit 2 back in the early 1960's and that went right to the Power Station because at the time coal was used there and coal was delivered by the LIRR. There was a track right under the station's crane. Next time I'm in Hicksville, I'll try and find out how the poles come there.

Mike