Railroad Forums 

• Truck-rail facility in Brentwood could ease traffic on L.I.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#31182  by jayrmli

My conductor went to the scoping meeting held this week, and says the plan was very interesting. One glaring problem with this, however:

The plan only calls for a rail intermodal facility. Just building the terminal won't necessarily mean they will come. Rail intermodal needs speed on its side to be effective, and beat out trucks. Traveling over Hell Gate Bridge and to Fresh Pond at 10MPH, with no direct connection at Pond (you have to stop and run around your train to go east), interchange with NYA and ppan to have a crew ready to go all increases the time to get to Pilgrim. If the plan included space for a bulk-transfer facility, NYA would have plenty of traffic there in no time. This was stated to DOT at the meeting, let's see if they listen.

Jay
 #31331  by badneighbor

The EPA has bashed numerous eastern states for not improving air pollution, blaming trucks and traffic in general. how the Pilgrim intermodal could help this..

#31388  by DogBert

I suspect csx would upgrade the track into fresh pond with the prospect of still more traffic. It's a short stretch of track considering the rest of the route from selkirk is relatively high speed.

It's not just one run around though, but 2 - the first being at oak point. I don't think anything could easily be done to fix either run around...

They'd need some real marketting going on. I believe a few months ago csx was going to try to run intermodal to harlem river in the bronx, but couldn't muster the 40 cars a week they wanted for the test trains...