Railroad Forums 

• Stone Train Question

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #13262  by NIMBYkiller

I've been told the 1st stone train of the yr will be passing Mineola eastbound tomarrow morning. Is this true? About what time(will it be atleast between 8:30 and 10:30?).

#13325  by Scrap em All

Probably between 7:30 - 8:00, if not earlier. The crew got a 6 am report. Look for the 270/271 with 50 cars.

#13339  by lirrmike

Ok, for the dumb like me, about what time through Farmingdale? So I can take pictures for emfinite, I hope. Thanks.

Mike

#13383  by NIMBYkiller

I take it this means you wont be on the walk tomarrow, Mike?

#13388  by lirrmike

Nimby,

Sorry, I really was looking forward to this adventure. That area is someplace I have always wanted to explore. My mission that day is I have to go with my wife to see her neice's new baby, which also means shopping for a gift before we go! And the worst part is my ankle has been hurting (I have a rod in my leg) so walking is out of the question. And if I'm hurting too much, I don't think I'll even get up the station to take some pictures. I know Joe (emfinite) and I will try to get up there on our own another day, so hopefully you will join us. Have fun and behave yourself! LOL!

Mike

#13472  by JMBethpage

The stone train came through Bethpage at about 8:20am.
 #13476  by John 61

The stone train (RS-30) as it was called, came through Ronkonkoma at 9:10 am. I didn't count the cars but there were about 35 hoppers and 8 gondolas on the west end. Engines 268-261-270-271. Photo is the engines at Prima

#13533  by badneighbor

we got to walk over bridge at Ronk, west of Lakeland Avenue at about 10. We missed the train by a while. I went by Nicolls Rd later, and found the cars there already. See 'em next time.

#13538  by NIMBYkiller

Wow, I wasn't even out of my house til 9:30 this morn.

#13539  by lirrmike

I didn't get my sorry butt up either and alas no photos, sorry Joe.

Mike

#13574  by M1 9147

Wow, 268's and I guess 261's horns looks like were relocated as part of the rehab on them. I heard the 30 at 9ish also from where I live.

#13577  by John 61

They left Prima around 9:45 with the gondolas in tow heading east. This train really fouls up the gates at the 1st east crossing east of Prima.The gates stay down for the whole time they work the siding. After they coupled up back on the gons I headed back to that crossing to get one final photo. I arrived just as a Suffolk Cty officer arrived and he blocked off the street with his car. He must have gotten a report of gates down at the crossing and cars going around the gates. I couldn't get to the spot I wanted to and with that the train passed by and the gates went up. The cop just gave this funny look and turned back to his car.Gates down, train passes, gates up. It looked normal to him.

#13593  by emfinite

John,

I got your email along with the shots... Great stuff!! I'll be sure to catch it next week, but I gotta get some sleep now.

Joe

#13639  by RRChef

At 1:50 pm Saturday, I was approaching the Nassau Blvd underpass and saw from 2 blocks away a train with 2 38's on westend and 2 38's on eastend with a string of what I believe were CSX hoppers between. I couldn't see the numbers of the units(too far away). I am assuming this was the power for the stone train returning home.

#13663  by Jayjay1213

That was the RS-30 you saw going with power on both ends. It returned to Pond with 271,270 west, 8 loaded gons from Gershow, and 261, 268 east. The horns on the 261, 268 should be back to there normal place by Monday, the crew wasnt happy with where they were on the weekend.

Jason