Railroad Forums 

• Brookhaven

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #860128  by railfaned

hrfcarl wrote:Any reason US Rail was chosen for the project instead of NYA? Did NYA apply for this project? Would US Rail consider applying for freight rights on LIRR trackage when NYA contract comes to an end? Does it seem inefficient for there to be 3 short lines on one island (NY/NJ Rail, NYA & now US Rail) even one as large as Long Island including Brooklyn & Queens?
Newsday said that US Rail put up $11 million of the $22 million. Brookhaven Terminal put up the rest. This is unlike the Calverton Spur, which was done with federal $$$$$$$. As for NY/NJ Rail, the Port Authority is the owner and the PA has to spend it's money on an even NY-NJ split.
 #860361  by tj48

hrfcarl wrote:Any reason US Rail was chosen for the project instead of NYA? Did NYA apply for this project? Would US Rail consider applying for freight rights on LIRR trackage when NYA contract comes to an end? Does it seem inefficient for there to be 3 short lines on one island (NY/NJ Rail, NYA & now US Rail) even one as large as Long Island including Brooklyn & Queens?
US Rail Corp also provides industrial switching services for customers: http://www.usrailcorp.com/-i-16.html?os ... 7dc2788f00
 #870323  by tahawus84

not much. just lots of grading, digging, and pilling up of sand. The side of the property along the row has had the dirt removed and is now level with the row. I would think it will still be a month or to till we see any new rail laid.
 #871786  by deandremouse

Any idea on the switching power US rail will send over?
 #878577  by hrfcarl

railfaned wrote:
Newsday said that US Rail put up $11 million of the $22 million. Brookhaven Terminal put up the rest. This is unlike the Calverton Spur, which was done with federal $$$$$$$. As for NY/NJ Rail, the Port Authority is the owner and the PA has to spend it's money on an even NY-NJ split.
tj48 wrote:US Rail Corp also provides industrial switching services for customers: http://www.usrailcorp.com/-i-16.html?os ... 7dc2788f00
I quess I should have made worded a couple of my questions better:

Did NYA or Anacostia (its holding company) apply or show interest in this project? According to its site, Anacostia seems to provide similar services as US Rail. Could Anacostia have put up the $11 million?
Did Anacosta ever show interest in NYCHRR (NY/NJ Rail before PA NY/NJ took over)? Except for the floats, seems pretty similar to its PHL & CSS.

Thanks.
 #885995  by tj48

Just happened to get my Jan. 2011 issue of Railpace. On page 7 there is a small article and plans for the layout of the Brookhaven Rail Terminal. Graphic is kind of small but it looks pretty interesting. According to the article the operation will average 6 trains a week, 3 inbound, 3 outbound, apx 40 to 50 cars each.
 #887964  by Sir Ray

tj48 wrote:Just happened to get my Jan. 2011 issue of Railpace. On page 7 there is a small article and plans for the layout of the Brookhaven Rail Terminal. Graphic is kind of small but it looks pretty interesting. According to the article the operation will average 6 trains a week, 3 inbound, 3 outbound, apx 40 to 50 cars each.
Wow, looking at that track layout in Snailpace reminded me of the old-school 'Spaghetti-Bowl' layouts - ladder tracks, half-a-loop, run-around tracks, what looks like a double slip switch in the SW quandrant (and what is that stub-track that juts out South from that double slip switch for, anyway?) - seriously, if they just continued that Bulkhead/Centerbeam unloading track around another 90degrees, this could have been a land-locked CNJ Bronx Freight Terminal clone. It has a engine service track (Snailpace really shrunk down the diagram, it's tough to figure out what half the track labels state). What they label Bellport Avenue (paper street) has gotta be the Power Line ROW. Bing View
 #888063  by tahawus84

Anyone know where i can get a copy of this magazine? Or at least the track diagram?
 #888099  by Sir Ray

tahawus84 wrote:Anyone know where i can get a copy of this magazine? Or at least the track diagram?
Here's a STB filing which has the track layout (seems to be the same one as Railpace has). Not the best resolution, but you can at least get an idea of the layout.
 #888249  by railfaned

Guys,
On the Long Island board, there is a thread BROOKHAVEN SITE MAP which has a high resolution .pdf file attached. Open it up and you can zoom in on all parts of the map. You can even print it up also.
 #888335  by Sir Ray

railfaned wrote:On the Long Island board, there is a thread BROOKHAVEN SITE MAP which has a high resolution .pdf file attached. Open it up and you can zoom in on all parts of the map. You can even print it up also.
Railfaned is right - so then, let's link to that thread. Looks like the pdf must be downloaded, not opened directly (at least under my copy of IE8). Heh, what's with the Conc(rete) Monunment by the West Bulk Track - probably a limit marker of some sort, but on Long Island who knows - maybe it's a 10 story statue of county exec Steve Levy...

Hmm, Site map thread posted in the wrong forum, about 2 months ago, when there was an ongoing Brookhaven terminal thread (this one) already in existance - who started that thread anyway? Ah, Otto - no wonder nobody knew about it, who reads his threads anyway? :p
 #888352  by giljanus

Sir Ray wrote:... Heh, what's with the Conc(rete) Monunment by the West Bulk Track - probably a limit marker of some sort, but on Long Island who knows - maybe it's a 10 story statue of county exec Steve Levy...
They are most likely property markers - several are shown along the edge of the LIRR ROW.

Gil, known as Bill somedays ...
 #888587  by tahawus84

Thanks for the links. Looks really cool. It is alot bigger than I imagined it would be. I am going to guess they will have more than 1 engine there.
 #893292  by freightguy

I spoke to a friend from the NYAR about this last night. When plowing last week out to Greenport they had an LIRR track supervisor with them and he says they have the switch to install for the Brookhaven rail terminal. They are supposed to install the switch this spring. That is relatively impressive 2 downstate freight projects in as many years. Especially here on Long Island. I hope the business follows suit with this heavy investment. This second project is right off LIE at exit 66 south on the Medford? Yaphank border.