Railroad Forums 

• Brookhaven

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #954094  by DogBert

Anyone's guess who'll maintain. Both are at fresh pond, neither will enter the LIRR mainline once their inside the terminal, so no asc.

I'm curious to see if it's going to be existing an stone customer or someone entirely new (bringing more loads into the island, and not just reshuffling them) and of course where that stone will come from - CT via P&W or elsewhere via CSX.

I've seen a few csx work trains on the route from oak point to fresh pond in the last two weeks. Not sure if it's routine work or the relaying of the second track to some point further north of swamp switch (basically to add capacity in fremont). That project was rumored awhile ago but never happened so far as I know. Work trains had ballast and rail cars, so it seems like they're doing more than just changing a few ties...
 #954147  by freightguy

Looks like atleast tie replacement. You can see the new ties spread alot along the Fremont secondary. I noticed from the LIE the other day and forgot to post.
 #968524  by RailFan631

Hey everyone, iv become quite interested in "railfanning," so they say. Theres nothing like bencing some freights! Its exciting to know that freight will be growing on Long Island. Does anyone know if any cars are already running at Brookhaven? I would asume that the overpass on 101 would be a great spot for pictures etc. Although that road can get quite busy. Any information would be appreciated, Thanks.
 #968870  by tahawus84

drove past today and there is a string of ballast hoppers in the yard
 #970270  by tahawus84

they received a delivery of ballast today. About 10 cars or so.

Sorry for the bad quality of pics.

ImageImage
 #971780  by mainline

tahawus84 wrote:they received a delivery of ballast today. About 10 cars or so.

Sorry for the bad quality of pics.

ImageImage
First delivery of stone today.
 #997177  by tahawus84

So how are things going out there? Does anyone know what days they receive deliveries? Do they run a dedicated train out?
 #997242  by mainline

Looks like they are busy. Both engines are in service. Forty plus cars there today. Heard deliveries at night with RS60. RS 60 now operates at night.
 #997268  by SwingMan

mainline wrote:Looks like they are busy. Both engines are in service. Forty plus cars there today. Heard deliveries at night with RS60. RS 60 now operates at night.

Wow, that's a BIG change. The 60 has been a day time run for as long as NYAR has been around.
 #997280  by tahawus84

Wow that explains why I have not been able to catch it during the day for the last few weeks. Anyone know what time they run at night?
 #997322  by emfinite

They usually follow 2088 from pine aire to KO then go east of KO when 2073 leaves at 11:13pm. They sit in certified siding if the train is short enough.
 #997485  by SwingMan

Teutobergerwald wrote:What is "certified siding?"

The siding just west of Ronkonkoma station.
 #997642  by jayrmli

Business is pretty brisk now as they're trying to unload as much stone to store for the winter before the quarries freeze. 33 cars are supposed to be delivered tonight, with 20 more behind it.

Things should slow down though once the cold winter sets it. There will soon be carloads of flour arriving in a few weeks and bio diesel is in the near future as well...

Jay
 #997650  by RRJS3

The RS60 usually used the same equipment as the RS50, how is that working now?